IWE check valve control box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oscar_14

Reaction score
Good day gents,

Basically we had a problem with the IWE check valves. It turned out that the valve wasn't receiving any power supply because of the broken control box (pictures atatched). Then we ordered a new box from the US. But the box turned out to be not programmed, empty.

Therefore I would like to ask what options do we have since there is no official Ford service centre here in Kazakhstan. Maybe we can copy the program from the old box? Or programm it somehow, maybe buy the programm.

Looking forward to your replies.
Thank you.
4279f490-4e6a-4cc4-abe6-e73d4969ff66.jpg bbc617f7-0b56-49ea-b7de-42d5066a5f56.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let me start out by asking what the original concern was as well as what year the truck is. Do you have a grinding noise under acceleration in 2WD? The TCCM (4x4 module) is not a common failure.

OP
OP
O

Oscar_14

Reaction score
Let me start out by asking what the original concern was as well as what year the truck is. Do you have a grinding noise under acceleration in 2WD? The TCCM (4x4 module) is not a common failure.

Good day,

The truck is of year 2017. Yes, there was a grinding noise coming from the wheel hub. You can see another thread via the link below where that issue was discussed and we came up to the decision that the problem was with the IWE check valves, and that they were not working properly because they were not receiving enough energy.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/noise-coming-from-the-wheel-hub.77122/#post-1507346

Thank you.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try this vacuum line/valve 1st. As @FordTechOne said the box is not common but the vacuum valve was. If you do not have a Blue vacuum valve then that could be your issue. I carry this spare in my truck. Here is pic, I would try this if you do not have blue valve in the vacuum line. Ford switched to blue color couple years ago. I HAVE A 2018 for what its worth.

20200727_000303.jpg

20200727_000246.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good day,

The truck is of year 2017. Yes, there was a grinding noise coming from the wheel hub. You can see another thread via the link below where that issue was discussed and we came up to the decision that the problem was with the IWE check valves, and that they were not working properly because they were not receiving enough energy.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/noise-coming-from-the-wheel-hub.77122/#post-1507346

Thank you.

So to clarify, you measured voltage at the IWE solenoid connector and found that there was 0V?

The system is designed so that when the IWE solenoid is not energized (0V) the IWEs don’t receive vacuum and therefore remain engaged with the hubs. When the TCCM provides 12V to the IWE solenoid, the solenoid opens and allows vacuum to reach the IWEs, pulling them in and disengaging them from the wheel hubs.

Can you clarify the voltage readings you found at the IWE solenoid and under what conditions you took the measurement (2WD, 4WD, Key on/off, etc)?

I believe you may be experiencing a vacuum related issue, because as mentioned if the IWE solenoid receives no voltage the hubs will remain full engaged. I can send you a the diagnostics for the system if you’d like, just let me know and I’ll DM to you.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quote from OP in other thread
"so basically the problem is the noise coming from the front axle, specifically from the wheel hub. The noise sounds like scraping or scratching. When both axles are being used, noise is not present. But if only the rear axle is used, then noise starts coming out from the front axle, and mostly at 1500 rpm."

Your saying the noise only happens in 2wd. Did you check the solenoid voltage when in 2wd? Did you check vacuum at the IWE while in 2wd? As mentioned by @FordTechOne, you will only have vacuum and voltage at the solenoid when in 2wd. I think you misinterpreted the IWE solenoid resolution. I think its a Vacuum issue and not a voltage issue.

OP
OP
O

Oscar_14

Reaction score
Quote from OP in other thread
"so basically the problem is the noise coming from the front axle, specifically from the wheel hub. The noise sounds like scraping or scratching. When both axles are being used, noise is not present. But if only the rear axle is used, then noise starts coming out from the front axle, and mostly at 1500 rpm."

Your saying the noise only happens in 2wd. Did you check the solenoid voltage when in 2wd? Did you check vacuum at the IWE while in 2wd? As mentioned by @FordTechOne, you will only have vacuum and voltage at the solenoid when in 2wd. I think you misinterpreted the IWE solenoid resolution. I think its a Vacuum issue and not a voltage issue.

Good day,

I'm sorry for the late response. We've managed to programm the TCCM box (from the pictures above), and also changedthe solenoid valve. But the noise is still present.
Regarding the voltage, I will provide you with the correct information sooner.

Thank you a lot.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check the vacuum lines at the top rear of the shock pockets were they lead down to the hubs left and right side, the little plastic lines tend to crack there causing vacuum lose and the grinding starts.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can somebody tell me why Ford still has a hard on for vacuum operated wheel hubs in 2020 when almost every other manufacturer has done away with them?

It seems like there was constant issues with the ESOF system on the Super Duties, and now the IWE does not seem much better. Why use it?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can somebody tell me why Ford still has a hard on for vacuum operated wheel hubs in 2020 when almost every other manufacturer has done away with them?

It seems like there was constant issues with the ESOF system on the Super Duties, and now the IWE does not seem much better. Why use it?

In my experience, Ford employs the system for the benefit of the consumer; it saves on fuel (but not enough to change EPA ratings) and wear on the front axles, differential, propshaft, and transfer case, which typically becomes known well after 150,000 miles (out of warranty).

I, for one, appreciate the system. No point in turning driveline components that aren't being used; it's a parasitic loss and causes wear and tear on components that aren't even being actively used.

The system is one of the most basic and simplest to diagnose; it's just vacuum principles. The most common complaints come from those who bring their truck to an incompetent dealer that doesn't understand the system. It's unfortunate, because it's actually a system intended to benefit the owner in the long term.