Is there an issue with the B&O sound system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone ever hear anything coming out of the headrest speaker or the speakers up in the ceiling? You should be able to hear something at some point, and yet I have never heard anything. If I crank a song, I still don't hear anything with my ear straight on them. I've read other posts from members saying it is a slight amount of sound, but is that really the way this was designed? They spent all that extra money and time putting in 4 extra speakers to barely make any noise? I'm starting to think that there is an issue with the amplifier not either connected correctly or just the wrong amplifier installed in our trucks that wasn't designed for the extra speakers.

What song and setting do you have the system on to convince me that these other 4 speakers work (each head rest and above each passenger, total of 4). Something just doesn't seem right about this. I wonder if using the factory harness to an aftermarket amplifier not only makes the other speakers work but the sound much better? Some of us don't want to replace each speaker, but if all I have to do is replace the amp, I'd gladly do that for better sound.

I do think the system sounds good, I was just expecting something else extra from those speakers. Anyone pull one of the ceiling grills yet and determine if there is actually anything in there? Could just be a grill lol

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends which format of the song you listen to. I have Apple Music and a lot of my songs I do hear from the ceiling speakers pretty well. You mostly hear background noise/vocals of the songs. Don't expect much if you are using radio stations. I don't really hear much out of the headrest unless my head is planted against the headrest.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speakers in the headrests and roof are meant to act as “fill” not a source of sound. If they emitted a louder sound, the entire soundstage would be thrown off balance.

Just like the rear speakers being louder than the front speakers, do you sit at a concert with your back to the stage? Is the lead singer hovering above your head?

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with the B&O? Yep. It sucks

I always thought the Sony system in the Gen 1s was best. My B&O in the Gen 2 is okay but really not worth it. I wish Ford would go to McIntosh, Polk, Harmon which all sound better to me.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
The speakers in the headrests and roof are meant to act as “fill” not a source of sound. If they emitted a louder sound, the entire soundstage would be thrown off balance.
I'll give you that, but NOTHING is coming out of it. And, if there is some sort of actual "fill" ,it is not discernable and therefore a waste.

Is the lead singer hovering above your head?

That would be awesome

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I always thought the Sony system in the Gen 1s was best. My B&O in the Gen 2 is okay but really not worth it. I wish Ford would go to McIntosh, Polk, Harmon which all sound better to me.
Do you though? Really...

Because we can do the aftermarket mods ourselves far cheaper than we would pay Ford to have something decent.

Lincoln’s Revel audio - the top level, is fairly well rated by auto writers. My wife has it in her Lincoln, and it’s credible, if a bit underpowered. It is WORLDS more precise than the Ford B&O and Sony that preceded it, but it cost more than what I paid to upgrade the Raptor sound system and the Rap has orders of magnitude more bass.

On one hand I get what you’re saying - it’s now almost 90K on the Rap and the sound system does not represent the price class very well. $hit, a Navigator isn’t much more and the Navi Revel is pretty good, but again, do we want the add on charges for the sound system, or just a basic Sync enabled receiver we could easily upgrade?

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never understood why manufacturers think adding 18 speakers will sound better than having 6 (+1 sub) high quality speakers. I guess for the vast majority of buyers will think "wow, 18 speakers, it'll sound great." This system is no different, in fact, its going in today to start the overhaul.