Is Cobb TCM worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth it? Lol- cobb been ripping people off from the jump selling 1/2 a can-o-tune to people charging full price. A “tune” on a FI automatic vehicle w/ a TEN speed tranny that doesn’t touch the TCM May produce more power on a dyno (jack up the boost Johnny!) but doubtful will show much tangible improvement in acceleration esp from a standstill as the “left hand ain’t talking to the right” if ya feel me.

I have a Gearhead tune- they’re very well versed in tuning FI automatic vehicles, especially HD diesel trucks. It’s not uncommon for diesel guys to even request a TCM tune only from them - it’s that much an improvement- nobody would ask for it the other way around. Making more power on a turbo engine w/o touching the TCM is also easier b/c- turbo- so just b/c the power is increased doesn’t impress me.

At this point since you already are invested w/ them- yeah, 1000% your truck will perform night & day better overall improvement w/ the TCM portion. Ask for a jar of Vaseline @ checkout, courtesy of Cobb for being a valuable repeat customer.
Does your ex work at Cobb?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does your ex work at Cobb?

nah, I just was baffled/astonished/mystified joining this forum coming from a long list of mostly GM V8 powered vehicles & honda 4 & 6 cylinder cars & I started looking into first getting a custom dyno tune locally (nobody I could find close by in New England w/ a lot of experience specifically w/ Ford EBs) & 2nd a mail order tune which is the 2nd best option - but I the astonished part came during this research I see everyone lapping it up about cobb tunes & when I found out people were paying custom dyno tune $$$ for cobb tunes that didn’t even touch the tranny, got dyno sheets from 3rd party sources, and ZERO tangible physical data showing performance improvement, aka a before/after 1/4 mile run in similar conditions.

You’d get laughed the F**K out the forum as a vendor trying to sell that 1/2 ass snake oil w/ Almost ZERO reputation in the domestic big 3 market on a Ram/Vette/Camaro/Mustang/Nissanetc. performance site. It wouldn’t even be a consideration- seems to me a lot of raptor owners just throw mod $$$ @ the trucks w/o really thinking it through - Cobb seems to make some quality hard parts but they try to be a “we do everything” performance provider for Raptors & I just don’t see it.

******** - F’n funny paying for a tune on a TEN speed auto truck w/ TQ mgmt, shift TQ, shift points & trans logic completely untouched. I’m literally chuckling to myself right now as I type this.

Make no bones about it- rip off.

Gaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth it! If you’re. Veteran, military or first responder as well you can save some extra money. I was on the fence but after flashing it, the butt dyno approves

Gaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah, I just was baffled/astonished/mystified joining this forum coming from a long list of mostly GM V8 powered vehicles & honda 4 & 6 cylinder cars & I started looking into first getting a custom dyno tune locally (nobody I could find close by in New England w/ a lot of experience specifically w/ Ford EBs) & 2nd a mail order tune which is the 2nd best option - but I the astonished part came during this research I see everyone lapping it up about cobb tunes & when I found out people were paying custom dyno tune $$$ for cobb tunes that didn’t even touch the tranny, got dyno sheets from 3rd party sources, and ZERO tangible physical data showing performance improvement, aka a before/after 1/4 mile run in similar conditions.

You’d get laughed the F**K out the forum as a vendor trying to sell that 1/2 ass snake oil w/ Almost ZERO reputation in the domestic big 3 market on a Ram/Vette/Camaro/Mustang/Nissanetc. performance site. It wouldn’t even be a consideration- seems to me a lot of raptor owners just throw mod $$$ @ the trucks w/o really thinking it through - Cobb seems to make some quality hard parts but they try to be a “we do everything” performance provider for Raptors & I just don’t see it.

******** - F’n funny paying for a tune on a TEN speed auto truck w/ TQ mgmt, shift TQ, shift points & trans logic completely untouched. I’m literally chuckling to myself right now as I type this.

Make no bones about it- rip off.

And what do you run as a tuning source/ device?

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth it. COBB employs a large staff of full time engineers and they do their testing to get things right. I don't buy into any of the overpriced whining. Reminds me of people who hate Apple products. I'm happy to pay extra for something that's turnkey and I trust.

I have Stage 1 ECM and I'm otherwise performance-stock like you. Got the TCM tune and tried both settings. I like OEM+. It smoothed out some rough OEM behavior and made everything feel like it really should from the factory. It's $400 one time and it makes a difference you'll enjoy every day. You paid 60 or 70 grand for the truck. $400 seems like a small price for a major upgrade. ECM and TCM tunes seem like the best value mod you can do IMO.

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never ran Cobbs can tune... just used their access port for goose to do his thing. He did an exceptional job dialing in my truck. Took about 6-7 data log sessions but def night and day improvement over stock. Like a completely different truck.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Worth it. COBB employs a large staff of full time engineers and they do their testing to get things right. I don't buy into any of the overpriced whining. Reminds me of people who hate Apple products. I'm happy to pay extra for something that's turnkey and I trust.

I have Stage 1 ECM and I'm otherwise performance-stock like you. Got the TCM tune and tried both settings. I like OEM+. It smoothed out some rough OEM behavior and made everything feel like it really should from the factory. It's $400 one time and it makes a difference you'll enjoy every day. You paid 60 or 70 grand for the truck. $400 seems like a small price for a major upgrade. ECM and TCM tunes seem like the best value mod you can do IMO.

I'm going add their customer service as well.

I've always seen Cobb step up and fix issues/problems asap. I've seen that in the Subaru world as well as an issue here on FRF.

Lots of options out there but Cobb is one of the best I've used.

dirtgod

Reaction score
Came to Cobb in my Porsche vehicles first. Great and well deserved reputation for them and their products on all the P car forums. Always excellent and safe bang for the buck and very attentive customer service. Have loved it on my Raptor as well.