Is Cobb TCM worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't able to find too many reviews on what folks thought, so I'm curious from anyone who has the Cobb TCM option on their Accessport, would you say it was worth it?

I got the Accessport installed on my stock 2019 with the Stage 1 93 Octane...don't pay for gas so everything I own always runs 93. :D Even bone stock I was very happy with the feel of the tune. I'm currently waiting for my AFE Magnum intake to come in, and will eventually also be adding AMS inlet tubes and an intercooler (undecided what brand but likely Cobb for the black aesthetic behind the grille). At that point I'll be getting a custom tune done.

So whether it be bone stock like mine, or on something that has a Stage 2 tune on it...was TCM worth it for you guys?

TopElement

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TCM tune is absolutely worth it. I've only used the OEM+ since installing the Accessport, but it just feels normal if you're used to new performance cars.
Daily driving in normal mode the truck is just always in the right gear, and much more responsive while not keeping the revs too high. In sport mode, the shifting logic is much better than stock and no longer holds onto too low of a gear when coasting after hard acceleration.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
In my subjective opinion, yes the TCM tune is well worth it. I had the MPT setup while waiting on Cobb to get their testing done and to the market. Although the MPT is much better than stock to me, I much prefer the Cobb version. Much smoother shifting up and down without losing the really quick shifting, even with truck set in Sport mode.

I run the Cobb Sport version TCM tune. I'm also in 4auto all the time as well. If I'm in the mood for some skip-shift and light throttle, I switch the truck to "weather" mode and it is great for just cruising at low or high speed. In 4A, you never really see the traction control come on when poking it WOT either...

Oh yeah, I set my pedal translation to linear in ALL modes, so I know WTF I'm asking from the engine (ETC). None of the "boosted" pedal stuff for me. It's a real annoyance.

Kmorgs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
without a doubt totally worth it. I have tried both OEM+ and Sport. Right now it's in Sport.

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't able to find too many reviews on what folks thought, so I'm curious from anyone who has the Cobb TCM option on their Accessport, would you say it was worth it?

I got the Accessport installed on my stock 2019 with the Stage 1 93 Octane...don't pay for gas so everything I own always runs 93. :D Even bone stock I was very happy with the feel of the tune. I'm currently waiting for my AFE Magnum intake to come in, and will eventually also be adding AMS inlet tubes and an intercooler (undecided what brand but likely Cobb for the black aesthetic behind the grille). At that point I'll be getting a custom tune done.

So whether it be bone stock like mine, or on something that has a Stage 2 tune on it...was TCM worth it for you guys?

The tune is a def yes! Big difference!

However the AMS tubes don't technically fit the 19's. I found out the hard way. The length and position of connectors is slightly different. My guy had to cut the tape and plastic protective tubing in order to stretch the connections to their maximum length to get theme to connect. Even then its VERY taunt and pulls on the connections/nipples on tubes. Can cause them to occasionally disconnect or come loose. My installer was worried that they were pulling so much/ so tight that it was going to snap one of the nipples off the AMS tubes.

With all that said. I've had them about 10k miles now. Had one CEL (mass air flow) due to a connection coming loose. Now I just check them every few weeks. Make sure all the connections are pushed down tight and clamps are tight... cuz they loosen up too and can disconnect from intake, had that happen twice... (other threads on here discussing this issue).

Just a heads up. They are doable. Just takes some modification for fit. Contacted AMS and they state they were designed for 17-18. Requires modification for 19 and up. But I didn't see anywhere where it stated this. So just a warning. The vendor I bought from wasn't aware either and asked them if they had plans to modify for direct fitment for 19 and up and was told no. All it would require is a couple elbows on each nipple to give a few extra inches. This would be enough to take the tension off the connectors and tubing. But apparently not a priority for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tune is a def yes! Big difference!

However the AMS tubes don't technically fit the 19's. I found out the hard way. The length and position of connectors is slightly different. My guy had to cut the tape and plastic protective tubing in order to stretch the connections to their maximum length to get theme to connect. Even then its VERY taunt and pulls on the connections/nipples on tubes. Can cause them to occasionally disconnect or come loose. My installer was worried that they were pulling so much/ so tight that it was going to snap one of the nipples off the AMS tubes.

With all that said. I've had them about 10k miles now. Had one CEL (mass air flow) due to a connection coming loose. Now I just check them every few weeks. Make sure all the connections are pushed down tight and clamps are tight... cuz they loosen up too and can disconnect from intake, had that happen twice... (other threads on here discussing this issue).

Just a heads up. They are doable. Just takes some modification for fit. Contacted AMS and they state they were designed for 17-18. Requires modification for 19 and up. But I didn't see anywhere where it stated this. So just a warning. The vendor I bought from wasn't aware either and asked them if they had plans to modify for direct fitment for 19 and up and was told no. All it would require is a couple elbows on each nipple to give a few extra inches. This would be enough to take the tension off the connectors and tubing. But apparently not a priority for them.
So happy you read this thread and warned me, thanks!!

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob. Just wanted to give u a heads up. Again its not a deal breaker, but not a perfect plug and play set up for the new trucks.
I usually check my oil once a month so I give all the connections a good check in the process. An extra 30 seconds under the hood!
If u search the AMStubes on here there are other threads with details. I also address this in one of them. There are others with 19's running these as well. All have had to cut tape and tubing to stretch for connectors to reach but no one has reported any other significant issues. So apparently its working fine.

However many have the clamp issue with intake. Even install video by FRF addresses it. I have had to tightened my clamps a total of 3 times. Twice in the first week. Then once since. But last time was pretty minimal and prob not even necessary.

Overall they def increase turbo noise. And if u get a stage 2 from goose, he says he sees a power increase from his end as well.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Worth it? Lol- cobb been ripping people off from the jump selling 1/2 a can-o-tune to people charging full price. A “tune” on a FI automatic vehicle w/ a TEN speed tranny that doesn’t touch the TCM May produce more power on a dyno (jack up the boost Johnny!) but doubtful will show much tangible improvement in acceleration esp from a standstill as the “left hand ain’t talking to the right” if ya feel me.

I have a Gearhead tune- they’re very well versed in tuning FI automatic vehicles, especially HD diesel trucks. It’s not uncommon for diesel guys to even request a TCM tune only from them - it’s that much an improvement- nobody would ask for it the other way around. Making more power on a turbo engine w/o touching the TCM is also easier b/c- turbo- so just b/c the power is increased doesn’t impress me.

At this point since you already are invested w/ them- yeah, 1000% your truck will perform night & day better overall improvement w/ the TCM portion. Ask for a jar of Vaseline @ checkout, courtesy of Cobb for being a valuable repeat customer.