Is anybody running the Volant CAI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iceman302

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
My only concern on CAIs on a Raptor is water ingestion, and for that aspect the Volant looks like the best one I've seen so far (i.e., it's fully enclosed). Per another forum, there's at least one dead Raptor 6.2L due to a non-enclosed aftermarket intake.

Do you have a link? From the details of your post, I'm assuming that it was water ingestion and hydrolock.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
http://www.raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=9038

Thread is fairly light on technical details, as the main subject of it becomes Hennessey Motorsports and several people (myself included) nearly get banned for suggesting that they have a history.

Have personally seen water ingestion with an open intake happen to a Dodge Dakota on Trabuco Creek Road, and have read about numerous full size Chevy's getting hit as well. In my experience, the stock airbox in the GM stuff seems to work fine in conditions where the carpet stays dry, even at a decent clip (have never tested the limit).

I'm talking about setups like this:
yhst-54734705425182_2129_7054337

I don't even understand the point of these though, I'd think they're breathing engine-heated air.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
My only concern on CAIs on a Raptor is water ingestion, and for that aspect the Volant looks like the best one I've seen so far (i.e., it's fully enclosed). Per another forum, there's at least one dead Raptor 6.2L due to a non-enclosed aftermarket intake.

Your concern is valid.
I noticed a loss in power a while ago, and when I took the air filter out, it was wet and dirty - with mud stains in the bottom of the resevoir. As enclosed as the stock setup is - it still vaccumed in water.

OP
OP
iceman302

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
http://www.raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=9038

Thread is fairly light on technical details, as the main subject of it becomes Hennessey Motorsports and several people (myself included) nearly get banned for suggesting that they have a history.

Have personally seen water ingestion with an open intake happen to a Dodge Dakota on Trabuco Creek Road, and have read about numerous full size Chevy's getting hit as well. In my experience, the stock airbox in the GM stuff seems to work fine in conditions where the carpet stays dry, even at a decent clip (have never tested the limit).

I'm talking about setups like this:
yhst-54734705425182_2129_7054337

I don't even understand the point of these though, I'd think they're breathing engine-heated air.

Me either. Some of the mods that people are doing to the fenderwell area to protect against water ingestion make sense. I wonder if any of the vendors will be coming out with something to solve this issue?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Me either. Some of the mods that people are doing to the fenderwell area to protect against water ingestion make sense. I wonder if any of the vendors will be coming out with something to solve this issue?

first of all the term "cold air intake" is a bit deceiving to begin with. if hot air is 180* then cold air is maybe 140*...know what i mean? it should be called a colder air intake. however, the term is used far too often for these "intake" systems that draw engine bay air that's probably the same or warmer than stock. where the difference is made is by increasing the filter size, intake tube size, creating a more direct route for the intake air, shortening the length of the intake, etc etc. It's not to say that an intake system like the one pictured wouldn't increase performance but it's not because it's a cold air intake. it's a never ending story in the aftermarket world...the cold air intake debate will never end. i think my explanation is pretty reasonable and generally accepted as being true.

OP
OP
iceman302

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
first of all the term "cold air intake" is a bit deceiving to begin with. if hot air is 180* then cold air is maybe 140*...know what i mean? it should be called a colder air intake. however, the term is used far too often for these "intake" systems that draw engine bay air that's probably the same or warmer than stock. where the difference is made is by increasing the filter size, intake tube size, creating a more direct route for the intake air, shortening the length of the intake, etc etc. It's not to say that an intake system like the one pictured wouldn't increase performance but it's not because it's a cold air intake. it's a never ending story in the aftermarket world...the cold air intake debate will never end. i think my explanation is pretty reasonable and generally accepted as being true.

Agreed. That is why I went with the Volant. It has a sealed box that feeds from where the "cooler" air feeds in from the fenderwell and it isn't openly exposed to under hood heat. I also think that its a poor design choice when companies opt to use a metal tube instead of plastic. Plus, the Volant is a good looking intake.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Agreed. That is why I went with the Volant. It has a sealed box that feeds from where the "cooler" air feeds in from the fenderwell and it isn't openly exposed to under hood heat. I also think that its a poor design choice when companies opt to use a metal tube instead of plastic. Plus, the Volant is a good looking intake.

i agree with this except i really don't see an issue with metal intake tubes because the air is being drawn in at such a rapid rate it's not like it has much time to soak up any heat being conducted by a metal tube. the only way it would make a difference is if the intake tube got super red hot but it's not...

I have a Roush CAI system which retains a lot of the stock intake tubing but eliminates the stock air box cover and filter. The feature I like most about the Roush is it has a heat shield complete with a rubber gasket that seals tightly against the hood and will draw air from the stock fender intake as well as "cool" under the hood air around the intake filter.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
My new Volant CAI just showed up on my doorstep the other day. I can't wait to install it.

Please let us know how it goes.. Likes / Dislikes
I have the AFE Stage II CAI and I think I want to get this one instead..