Interest in an Alaska run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been kicking this idea around for a while now and the Baconator just sparked my interest again. In the first part of idea stages now and just wanted to get an idea of who on the forum may be willing to make the drive through Canada and spend a few days in AK. Maybe 4-5 days on the run depending on where we go. There are a number of unimproved and washboard gravel roads here from a few miles to a hundred or more. Some lead pretty cool places like the abandoned Kennecott mine, McCarthy, the million dollar bridge in Cordova, the Dalton highway, and Devils Mountain lodge. There would be a mix of road miles and off road miles but all fairly open "roads" no tight trails or true off road areas since you really need a track rig or a helicopter here for that. :crazy: We would probably be staying in out of the way lodges for most of the evenings although we can plan at least one tent camp night if that's what people want. The best time of the year is probably about the middle of July. Due to the logistics involved for most of you and the fact that everyone would have to book their rooms and such early due to tourist season this is probably a July of 2016 event with a pre-run this summer for the closer folks. Feel free to comment and ask questions and let me know what everyone thinks.
JAY

Sub'd for 2016 run...

And take Dalton highway as far as it goes. I guess it ends near some oil fields or something.

wow what a great opportunity for those that can get there.

Alaska…??

Sure…why not….??

Sounds like the expedition of a lifetime…

Long way from Texas…but I got nothing but time...

I'm in for this! Never been to Alaska and always wanted to go!

Prybar,
I would love to go; indeed Alaska and Australia 'walkabouts' have been on my bucket list for 40 years! Being with a group of Raptors would be even more fun...
Eddie

I could do between Oct and April if this becomes a regular thing.

This is definitely a trip I'd love to take!!! However with a family it would become very difficult. Two kids 8 and 6 would not work well in the car for that length of time unfortunately.

I would do it.... Currently building up my Raptor for an overlanding trip from east coast to Alaska

@Mrs. FarFromStock and I discussed it last night and we are definitely in for this one. With so much time to plan, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to make it. We will be shooting for the "farthest traveled" award coming from central Florida. She's already planning the route there with all the "must do" stops along the way. I'm hoping 3 weeks is enough to do everything.

subbed. Interested. Take an extra few days to go Salmon fishing :)

/mutter something about stupid Canada gun laws

If you guys are in then I'll meet yall along the way

I Grew up in AK and lived there 21 years. Still have a mom and sister in Wasilla. Made the road trip from Anchorage to Arizona and back 13 times. When I first drove the AlCan, it was 930 miles of dirt road through Canada. I was 16 and had my license 2 weeks and drove from Anchorage to Bisbee, AZ in 5 days! 1/2 day from Anch to the Canada border, 2 days to cross Canada and 2 days to cross the US top to bottom. That included 2 speeding tickets. It was first week of January and winter was the best time to drive it. Got to Arizona and came out from a restaurant to find an old timer looking at the studded tires on my truck. He said 'Son, I don't know where you been, but your tires are full of nails!'. I know that dates me a bit as it is all paved now. Some of the most beautiful and rugged country you will ever see.

There was group of 5 of us that traveled around the state and parts of Canada (mostly Whitehorse). We would run all types of off road and tank trails on our dirt bikes. I'm sure there are some great off road runs that could be done. Unlike the South where I currently live, there is almost no fencing.

I sub'd this and we will certainly be interested in making the trip!

I volunteer to host the "Pre-border crossing party" for the west coasters heading north!

It appears that the people coming from the west coast and those coming from the east coast's paths could cross at Grand Praire, AB if the west coasters chose to go the slightly longer way (I mean whats an extra few hours on a 50+ hour drive :Insane:)

Or the 'shortest' paths would cross @ 60.027193, -129.060135 where the Dease Lake Highway and Alaska Highway 1 intersect. AKA "Beaver Post" :ROFLJest:

Where would be the meet up point in AK? Anchorage?

Let's do this thing @FarFromStock

We've already decided we were making the trip, just weren't sure if it would be the summer of 2016 or 2017. So if there was a group of trucks going, it may make the trip better or worse depending on what everyone has planned. Our trip was designed around seeing some new places and things.

I know the wife wants to do the Baja RaptorExpedition run as well. We decided earlier this year that we wanted to see some places and experience more while we're younger. We have 3 kids as well, so we also have to plan family vacations as well, but these types of events will require the kids going to the grandparents house for a few weeks because I'm not dragging children around in a truck for multiple weeks. They'd go crazy and they'd drive me crazy.

For a trip like this, that's going to be at least 2 weeks total even for us who live "1 state away" we should start throwing dates out. I know for me personally June would work the best as I have annual trips that fall on big holidays like memorial day weekend and 4th of July.

Id be down for this if its in 2016, Ive been throwing the idea of taking a trip to alaska, and a raptor run would make it even better.

Sub'ed and interested in a trip Spring/Summer '16. Been looking for an excuse to fork out the money to catch the Ferry out of Bellingham WA into Haines and do some driving.

Ferry info:
FerryTravel.com - Book Bellingham ferries to Alaska, Victoria & to Friday Harbor easily quickly & securely online.
About $1200 ($3000ish if you want a cabin...wussy)

This sounds like an awesome trip.
Subscribing and very interested.

I am all over a trip like this.
Just got my Raptor and cant wait for a good back country trip.
Im up in the wasilla, AK area.
I agree with most of the people on here. June is about the best month. for temp/bugs

Aug is normally full of rain, and would make a trip like this very messy.
a few days up the dalton, and then up into the wrangels, that would make an amazing trip to see some amazing back country in alaska.

I am very interested.

still interested

I am still very interested too.

for those of you still interested, we at the ROC crew have been looking into this. pm me if you are still wanting to make this happen

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty good. And I can wire up some shit. Perks of being a redneck Asian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if you can make it to colorado springs, i can take you up there. im still working with some people regarding timing and locations so theres not a definitive date yet