I finally got a Gen 3, but I might not keep it for long.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar situation. The local Ram dealer has two TRX's for sale. The Raptor I ordered November 1st has finally been shipped. They'd love to take it on trade. However, I just decided that I'll stick with the Raptor. The resale value of the Raptor is historically good. The TRX values (while good) concern me that they perhaps may not hold up so well when all the craziness with the chips and high demand ends. I suspect that we'll see that happen soon.
Fuel economy also played into my decision. "IF" gas hits $10 or more a gallon the TRX will be seeing some big discounts on pricing.

I lived in Washington D.C. during the gas shortages in 1973-4 (I was a teen) and remember thinking of buying a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang in mint condition that was sitting on a used car lot. (my Dad said not no, HELL NO!) The price was $2400. The salesman was having trouble getting rid of it and was ready to deal. Back then gas prices were rising much like they are today and Boss 429's, while rare, got terrible gas mileage and were cheap. This sort of thing was a common occurrence back then. I'm wondering if the TRX and others may be the next victim of the gas price mess. (the Global Warming "Theory") I don't think the TRX will ever be worth the kind of money that the Boss 429 is today (~$250,000) as it was a limited production car with only a few thousand built over two years.

Last edited:

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get more than $7k over sticker from a dealership.... stick it to them hard.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to ask this question on the TRX forum as well. Some of these guys are Ford only dudes and will not give you an in bias answer. 7k will buy you 43 fill ups(TRX holds 32 gallons) gas will be back down by December IMO so if mpg is the issue then you are covered.

Stevdug

Reaction score
Man I don’t know if it’s that easy to clear 7k on a flip. Here in OK your going to drop 3-4k to register the truck and looking at trucks that are really selling Vs asking, I think the over 10k is rare.

Stevdug

Reaction score
I placed a 22 msrp order in Nov. that I thought would never come in but it is now in transit. Also had picked up a 21 order back in Feb at another dealer that buyer backed out on for 7k over (keep in mind the 21 was pre price increase so )it’s base was about 4k less than my 22. I originally thought I could flip one of the trucks but don’t think it’s a big money maker right now so i let the 21 go.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a similar situation. The local Ram dealer has two TRX's for sale. The Raptor I ordered November 1st has finally been shipped. They'd love to take it on trade. However, I just decided that I'll stick with the Raptor. The resale value of the Raptor is historically good. The TRX values (while good) concern me that they perhaps may not hold up so well when all the craziness with the chips and high demand ends. I suspect that we'll see that happen soon.
Fuel economy also played into my decision. "IF" gas hits $10 or more a gallon the TRX will be seeing some big discounts on pricing.

I lived in Washington D.C. during the gas shortages in 1973-4 (I was a teen) and remember thinking of buying a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang in mint condition that was sitting on a used car lot. (my Dad said not no, HELL NO!) The price was $2400. The salesman was having trouble getting rid of it and was ready to deal. Back then gas prices were rising much like they are today and Boss 429's, while rare, got terrible gas mileage and were cheap. This sort of thing was a common occurrence back then. I'm wondering if the TRX and others may be the next victim of the gas price mess. (the Global Warming "Theory") I don't think the TRX will ever be worth the kind of money that the Boss is today (~$250,000) as it was a limited production car with only a few thousand built over two years.
Boss 429's can make up to half a mil, bro, restored properly, a race proven one can make the millions in any shape. The trx isn't in the same category, the gt40 yes! Just my opinion.