I did cam phasers in my garage, and you can too!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

Reaction score
Impressive work! However, if it chewed through a set of HL3Z-CD VCT units, it’s going to do the same to ML3Z-A. Not sure what the “authority” you mention is, but HL3Z-CD is the updated/correct part for 2017-2020. The ML3Z was a supplier change for 2021 production; they’re interchangeable but not different/better.

You either have one of 2 things going on:

1. The truck was never updated per recall 21B10 with the new calibration
2. You have low oil pressure to the heads/VCT system. Most commonly caused by scored cam journals from poor maintenance or running low on oil.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the info. What I said regarding the change was from the former head of Ford’s VVT program. I could have understood him wrong.

I don’t see any open recalls / CSP’s for 21B10 - I’ll have to double check my printed out service history tomorrow. The cam journals all looked fine, no obvious signs of wear…and the truck’s never been ran low on oil, at least, since I bought it.
The LH valve cover was cracked for god knows how long, and the oil pump electrical connector seal was leaking, so perhaps the previous owner did me in.

Fingers crossed the truck doesn’t chew through these!

spack

Reaction score
Oh this is cool! Thanks mate. So what’s interesting to me is the wear pattern on the back plate. That plate on a new CD part is completely flat. And typical failure is in the well pin hole on the gear side, not the back plate. Do you still have the entire assembly and if so, would you mind posting pictures of all pieces? Was the plastic bit on the end of the spring which runs on that plate even present? Also interesting are the rotor cuts into that plate. I’m with FTO… Something else going on here. If you already said this I apologize but how were the screens on the solenoids? Clean?

OP
OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

Reaction score
Oh this is cool! Thanks mate. So what’s interesting to me is the wear pattern on the back plate. That plate on a new CD part is completely flat. And typical failure is in the well pin hole on the gear side, not the back plate. Do you still have the entire assembly and if so, would you mind posting pictures of all pieces? Was the plastic bit on the end of the spring which runs on that plate even present? Also interesting are the rotor cuts into that plate. I’m with FTO… Something else going on here. If you already said this I apologize but how were the screens on the solenoids? Clean?

The well pin hole was worn on the gear side as well, but not as bad. I’ll grab pics of the other pieces tomorrow and post them. Plastic piece was there. Solenoid screens were clean.
I’m not privy enough to know what’s typical and atypical wear, so if this is unusual I definitely would like to ensure I find the explanation and prevent it from happening again.
If it’s worth mentioning - the phaser rattle started immediately after an oil change. This is the explanation I got for that:

The phaser locking pin is on its last leg. You get a huge slug of air injected into the phaser on that first startup. The locking pin isn't holding it locked and now there is a bunch of air in the phaser causing it to become very unstable for a few seconds. That leads to huge impacts and slips the 4 bolts holding the phaser together. This puts the lock pin hole in a different location and now it really doesn't work. It also distorts the body and leaks oil like crazy.

Last edited:

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Impressive work! However, if it chewed through a set of HL3Z-CD VCT units, it’s going to do the same to ML3Z-A. Not sure what the “authority” you mention is, but HL3Z-CD is the updated/correct part for 2017-2020. The ML3Z was a supplier change for 2021 production; they’re interchangeable but not different/better.

You either have one of 2 things going on:

1. The truck was never updated per recall 21B10 with the new calibration
2. You have low oil pressure to the heads/VCT system. Most commonly caused by scored cam journals from poor maintenance or running low on oil.
Man. You sure know how to drop the hammer on a deal good post.

spack

Reaction score
This is how that plate started life. Plastic bit shown about where your wear is. And the other image is how the opposing well hole starts life. What you usually see is the well hole becomes beveled out on one side. The side away from the filling channel. Towards the right in this image. It makes the hole very oblong but only in one direction. Anyway, I’m yet to see how a CD part wears so very interested. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9932.jpeg
    IMG_9932.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9933.jpeg
    IMG_9933.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
kindofblue

kindofblue

Reaction score
This is how that plate started life. Plastic bit shown about where your wear is. And the other image is how the opposing well hole starts life. What you usually see is the well hole becomes beveled out on one side. The side away from the filling channel. Towards the right in this image. It makes the hole very oblong but only in one direction. Anyway, I’m yet to see how a CD part wears so very interested. Thanks!

You’re saying that channel shouldn’t be there at all, and you haven’t seen this before? Great lmao! I’ll get you pics ASAP.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for the write up! This may be in my future one day. I've rebuilt a 70's Bosch mechanical fuel injection unit (Porsche) once. It was kinda like a giant switch watch. I've done a couple Muncie's too over the years. So, this post gives me hope that maybe.... maybe.... I could tackle this if/when mine go kablowey.