Howling noise at WOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok so... is this a stuck turbo or a hose loose?

Howling noise at wide open throttle, and boost stops at around 16 vs going to 20.

MPT tuned, CVF FMIC, SPD DPs etc

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep bet you lost bearings on one of them. How often do you change your air filter or clean air filter? You have to keep them changed out or clean especially on a tuned turbo vehicle . If your filter is really dirty you can over speed your turbos. Like putting hand over a vacuum cleaner speeds up.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude.

It’s wild that you said that because I was getting a code that said air restriction. Once I change out my air filter that code went away!!
Shortly after the code went away is when I started getting this howling noise!

Fuckery bro... how else can I check for a blown turbo? I got just under 50k... warranty still?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude.

It’s wild that you said that because I was getting a code that said air restriction. Once I change out my air filter that code went away!!
Shortly after the code went away is when I started getting this howling noise!

Fuckery bro... how else can I check for a blown turbo? I got just under 50k... warranty still?

Since the noise started after air filter replacement, check to make sure the filter, air box, and tubing are properly installed/connected/sealed.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A stock tune accounts for dirty filters and keeps boost lower, with a tune its trying to attain 20 psi its going to open those waste gates pretty far to try and attain that psi. Turbine RPM goes to the moon.

I keep filters rotated out . New one when street driving , a used one not that dirty for playing in dirt. When that one gets too dirty toss and buy new one motorcraft amazon pretty cheap.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve already replaced the filter that is what made my air restriction code go away. But I started having these issues after I replaced the filter

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm afraid the damage is already done . Turbine is scraping the housing . Imperative to keep clean filters. It could be a bad BOV may be it leaking by . I would look at that before turbos.

Last edited: