Howdy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DT 714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New member from Texas 77586.

This forum stuff & posting is all new to me so I'll ask forgiveness in advance.
Honestly...I really don't know how to do any of this stuff...just inputing a few things to join up was challenging enuff....somehow I got a couple pics up, a bio & some other blah,blah, blah....crap....uh stuff.

Been reading different "threads & posts"(..??) for a few days now....and I've learned a bunch....

1. Don't ask for members to give you money for a new Raptor....when you won't get off your butt to earn it yourself...and I am in total agreeance with that. Oh and I want a Ford GT too..!!
2. There are a lot of "colorful" folks on here....kinda makes me feel right at home....that could be good & bad...
3. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum...folks happy to share their experiences ... a kind of been there done that thing and this is how I dealt with it or fabbed it out or here is the link and a coupon too...!!
What a wonderful place for a new member...everythings already been dealt with....the skids have been greased...
4. There is a member on this forum...that will give you a synopsis of a post by the numbers....ya gotta love it....I do..!! It's an easy way for me to know if "I got it..." or not...
5. My truck is called a Scab....well crap....guess I'm gonna haveta get used to that....oh well...I still love it...like an ugly puppy...
6. Mid perch is a front shock height setting...not the middle of a fish...

I hope to learn your screen names and be worthy of your knowledge, direction & friendship.

So, here is how I got involved in all this.....cue the way way back machine...

Mistake #1 - Top Gear....I saw the episode...you all know the one....yeah...heads are knodding...you can remember it like yesterday...and Hennesy is just down I-10 about an hour from my house if you drive real fast...

Mistake #2 - I wanted it....real bad...right from the start...like candy...
I wasn't in the market for a new truck....didn't need one...surely didn't deserve to have one....but I wanted it....and that was a problem...

Mistake #3 - I thought I'd be able to talk my wife of 30 yrs into it....( I've known her since the 3rd grade...) so this should be easy...

Mistake #4 - I thought I'd be able to make a great deal on a Raptor...you know...like $250 over invoice through the fleet mgr.....hah...they wanted $5K over sticker all over Texas...if you could find one...well I wasn't gonna pay that...hell i've never paid anything like that...ever...so...I bought a 2011 Harley Davidson for my wife...4x4, AWD, Tuxedo Black...paid $250 over invoice...made the wife real happy...besides she deserved something new and I can't believe she picked that truck....what a lucky guy...not the Raptor but real nice...

Mistake #5 - Allowed my wife into talking me into ordering a 2012 "Scab"...tuxedo black, loaded plus window tint, dealer installed interior lighting....now I'll have 2 black trucks that need detailing every 20 minutes...but I'm not complaining.....no...I'm getting a new Raptor that I don't need and sure don't deserve...but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth...(where the hell did they ever come up with that saying anyway..?)

So, I got it on June 7, 2012...and man...what a truck...but ya'll already know all that and much more....

Had it for over a year....only drove it to the local motocross tracks once or twice a week to ride with friends...don't race anymore...just practice these days.

In a year I had less than 5K miles....then I broke down and drove 8.5 hrs out to west Texas to go swimming and SCUBA diving at Balmorhea Sate Park...put some miles on that ***** then...that's the longest I've ever been in that truck...then 8.5 hrs back home after a few days of swimming. They got a real nice swimming hole out there...it's real big and deep too..!!

So now I've got more than 6K miles and I wanna go somewhere and use the Raptor for what it was intended for....offroad..!!

Mistake #6 - Bought a 4 wheel truck magazine...had this story about a Texas Raptor Run...holy crap..!! I spent hours looking at photo's and videos of that event....found a website and a guy named treypal...links to this website...

And now I've joined a forum, spent about a zillion hours looking at stuff ya'll've written...then I've written this gawd-awful long ass "post"...that I've already asked forgiveness for.....(holy crap...I've invented a triple contraction word...ya'll've...ya'll have...wow..)

Oh...and I'm signed up for Raptoberfest...!!

So, I'm sweating it now...gotta get my shit together for this thang so I don't embarrass myself more than I'm doing with this "introduction"....

I'm trying to fab up a mount for my 35 yr old Hi-Lift...found several ideas...Big J, Prop Dr & Firematt 422 all have good ideas...that I can afford to try.

So...if any of you guys read this..I'd love to hear how your installs are holding up...thanks in advance...

Also, I need a way to hold down my tool box in the bed and I want to get a cargo net...not a bungee cord one...a good one made out of webbing...so if anyone knows the best place to buy one...thanks in advance...

Oh...and I need a good way to mount a fire extinguisher in the bed too...I like those fast grip rubber mounts...anyone have a great mounting idea that's been working for ya....again...thanks in advance...

And...if I can rent some coil spring compressors....I gonna attempt mid perch...solo..in my driveway....saw a video on youtube where they didn't take the shock off and it looks so easy...even and Aggie could do it...so that's for me...treypal suggests mid perch for the event...so I'd better do it...!!

Ok...put a fork in it...this thing is done.....I don't know what this other stuff is at the bottom....tags, trackback....what is PM...not preventive maintenance I'd bet...

I'm gonna punch the red button now and see if this bitch'll fly...!!

DT 714

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you found a way to pop your forum cherry - glad you did it here.

Don't worry about mods as much as getting some off road time in. Make sure you read some threads about off roading (assuming you haven't done it before). You can learn a lot before you even go out and it will help you understand what's going on and why.

PS: Don't worry about the off road noises (usually dirt flying up underneath your truck). I've talked to at least 2 owners who thought there was something wrong with their Raptors - they had only been off roading 1-3 times before.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Ford Raptor Forum. If we can help with anything in the future or information now please visit our website or pm us personally. We would love to help with all your current and future Raptor needs.

DesaRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy back at ya.
Excellent first post.
77586 means you might want to join HARO.
The Houston Area Raptor Owners Facebook Page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/houstonraptors/

Lots of activities and discussions. Nothing as indepth as FrF, but still a nice place to keep up with local activities like the upcoming TORR meet with the Dallas Folks.

Welcome aboard.