How will the Raptor compare to my Silverado 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sniperm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never owend either one... never thought I would buy a truck... but when I first saw the Raptor.. I sold my bmw right away... still waiting for my Raptor to come.

And Silverado just looks ugly as hell..

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't really play the brand loyalty game. I don't entirely care what brand makes a vehicle. I just care how much I enjoy said vehicle. How the company treats me as a customer, and the quality of the product I am paying for.

That said, having had 3 GM's and the Raptor being my 2nd ford.... I have absolutely no desire to touch a GM vehicle again anytime soon.. Unless it's free or I win the lottery and can afford to have one as a 4th or 5th vehicle. I don't hate GM... but I haven't had any luck with GM whatsoever.

Every GM vehicle Ive had was full of problems, (GMC Jimmy, Pontiac Montana , 2010 Camaro SS/RS) Not really a truck to compare to the Raptor but... They all had tons of problems/quality issues. I absolutely love Camaro's... But don't see myself giving them my money, so they can give me more problems again anytime soon. Camaro was the clincher that left the bitter taste in my mouth. Brand new car full of problems from day 1.
And got the worst treatment ever, in trying to get the issues resolved.

Love the Raptor. 2010.5 6.2L scab. Not really any major issues. Very happy with the quality. My biggest problem was the rough transmission shifting that seems to have been fixed since I got the update done. I love pretty much everything about the truck otherwise.

Any other issues I've had have been dealer specific problems.. Not really Raptor or Ford problems.

Raptor loves gas. So.... I am looking at getting a more long distance commute friendly vehicle to be my daily driver... I am sticking with Ford if I do.. (Fiesta ST) Was previously considering a few Japanese vehicles, but then I saw & read up on the fiesta ST.

I just can't appreciate spending $400 per week on gas anymore to drive the Raptor everywhere.

Zero regrets leaving GM for the Raptor though.

You must drive like 6000 miles per month!

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've owned a BUNCH of trucks and SUV's over the years. We are generally not loyal and buy based on a combination of: what we can afford, what fits our need, what we want to drive, reputation, warranty, etc. etc. We've owned more Chev/GMC trucks than ford, but mostly due to the need for Suburban XL cargo/passenger space, and the gargantuan Excursion was really the only other option. Summary: the Raptor is now at the top of the heap, and by a significant margin in every category that matters to us now. I have to say, though that I enjoy driving this truck more than all the rest by a long shot. Smiles per mile ratio off the chart.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: OP :laughing1:

2000 Silverado = shit in the dirt cause the shocks are all blown on my bros.
2013 rental silverado is pretty smooth over washboard roads, but the sway bar really pulls badly over speed bumps off center.

Take the sway bar off your raptor if you like offroading it. Just be careful on the street until you know what it can handle.

Oooh yea, verytalonted has a point, power!

Last edited:

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I own both. My son has a 2008 silverado (07? can't remember) and I have the Raptor. Been a chevy family for a long time, mostly Suburbans.

Here is what I think:

My Raptor is pure toy and I love it. I have 6 cars in the garage, yet the Raptor gets driven all the time.

except-

when I need to haul stuff - then the silverado's longer bed lower ride height make it better. Gas mileage is about 30% better on it as well which helps in longer range stuff.

Off road - it's like trying to compare apples and oranges, doesn't compute. if you are going off road get the Raptor.

I still like his Silverado, and for the money I think it's one of the best trucks on the road, his loaded out Z71 was about 27k when we bought it.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Raptor is a truck on steroids. You will not be disappointed and its real hard to find something you do not like about it. Welcome to the gang.