How well did the frame hold up your first winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAA

Reaction score
2018 GEN2 on the New Hampshire seacoast. I picked it up in early December 2017, and it has gone through two harsh New England winters already, with the third seemingly now upon us. I run it intermittently through a brushless car wash all winter long. Underneath- no rust observed. I should note that I stopped driving a 2017 Porsche Cayenne GTS, my winter car at that time, after two weeks of driving this Raptor in December 2017. In Baja mode and 2 wheel drive, it is every bit as potent as a Porshe in Sport Plus mode! TAA

Last edited:

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is 2019. Like all my cars for the last 30 years, i have not thought twice about winter rust. Especially since i dont drive cheap cars. Never had an issue.

I agree.

Are we asking about how long before the frame “rusts through” and breaks in two or how long before we see the annoying “surface rust” that all of us hate, but does nothing to the structure of our frames? I was born in Michigan and lived there until I was in my 20s. The only time I ever saw a frame rust through was a 40+ year old pickup truck that sat outside on a farm for a couple of decades. If any of us still have our trucks in 30-40 years, we might look back and wonder why we did not do something more to protect our frames. Otherwise, I would not worry about it... :rolleyes:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree.

Are we asking about how long before the frame “rusts through” and breaks in two or how long before we see the annoying “surface rust” that all of us hate, but does nothing to the structure of our frames? I was born in Michigan and lived there until I was in my 20s. The only time I ever saw a frame rust through was a 40+ year old pickup truck that sat outside on a farm for a couple of decades. If any of us still have our trucks in 30-40 years, we might look back and wonder why we did not do something more to protect our frames. Otherwise, I would not worry about it... :rolleyes:

But if you DONT keep the truck 10 years, maybe only 3-4 & then are itching for a change it’s one thing if you’re just trading @ the dealer entirely another on private party sales. A truck that looks pristine underneath is going to sell much quicker & get more $$$ than one that’s covered in rust.

I’ve personally walked away from a deal on a slightly used Yukon that was Less than 3 years old off lease only 17k miles & the entire undercarriage was rusted ever but/bolt/spring/frame etc. & that’s how I wound up in my first brand new truck- wanted a Yukon Denali couldn’t swing the payment on a brand new one stated looking @ CPOs then couldn’t justify spending same coin on used Yukon Denali w/ rust coating underneath when I could get a a brand new truck w/ 5.3 for same dough.

Just an example.

If you are keeping the truck longer term & do any of your own maintenance/mods it’s just easier to deal w/ when everything’s not all rusted to hell.

It’s just so easy to prevent when you get a vehicle brand new just coat it w/ krown, Amsoil HDMP, Yamashield etc whatever floats your boat if you do it from the start it’ll look new for the life of the vehicle.

Also at least W/ the Amsoil stuff it also seems to shed dirt/dust/mud more easily as well compared to untreated. Cleans up easier- mines dried up to like a beeswax texture if that gives you an idea.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, thank you for your insight. I'm planning on spraying the frame with Fluid Film, it gets good reviews, and protect it as well as possible. I'm not worried about the frame rusting through - probably won't keep the truck long enough for that to be a problem, but I do want to keep it looking decent underneath. I'll give the rear axle and pumpkin a good coat as well as the Fox Shocks. Thanks again and all the best!

Ben J

Reaction score
I got valuguard undercoat. Made by line x. For $400 they painted the frame, wheel wells, and gave me a warranty. Looks good and isnt sticking to everything like some yearly treatments. Took about 2 days to cure

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, thank you for your insight. I'm planning on spraying the frame with Fluid Film, it gets good reviews, and protect it as well as possible. I'm not worried about the frame rusting through - probably won't keep the truck long enough for that to be a problem, but I do want to keep it looking decent underneath. I'll give the rear axle and pumpkin a good coat as well as the Fox Shocks. Thanks again and all the best!
If you want it to “look good” don’t use fluid film.

Try Yamashield

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily, the frame isn't visible when just standing and looking at the truck so the type of coating used isn't much of a concern. I have four cans of Fluid Film I bought yesterday and it's going on today - this being about the last good day we'll have here for a while. The stuff gets good reviews for protection and I can spray it off next spring then use another product next year if I don't like the Fluid Film. Protection is my main concern now that I know it's definitely needed. The other products all sound promising and I'd like to try them all but can only do one at a time.