GEN 1 How to know if my shocks need a rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exx1976

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm at 83K miles and have rebuilt mine twice. Mine does get wheeled hard. I would be willing to bet you are in need of a rebuild. Probably best to just do it - then you'll have a feel for how they should ride. I bet you notice a significant difference.

Make sure to replace your front bushings as well. I'd also recommend the flutter stacks and valve upgrades.

As mentioned, your other option is consider and upgrade, but those are FAR more expensive.

I managed to pick up a stock take off set a while ago. Having two sets has REALLY made the rebuild experience easier since my truck isn't out of commission while I get them rebuilt. I picked up the second set, in good condition, for about the cost of a rebuild, so WINNING!

Yup - that's why I replaced my rears already, but not the front. I managed to get a set of rears from a smashed truck that were rebuilt 10k ago for $250, so now I have a spare set. Still looking for a pair of fronts.

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy that rebuilt mine says every 40K. He said the oil Breaks down and more often if lots of off roading. Seems a little excessive to me.

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy that rebuilt mine says every 40K. He said the oil Breaks down and more often if lots of off roading. Seems a little excessive to me.

Fox says ever 50k with no off-roading. 25k with mild off-roading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk