GEN 2 How to get rid of "Network Connection Needed" prompt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Djordan9904

Reaction score
This prompt started coming up recently within the past two weeks, I've attempted numerous times with no luck. I went to my local dealership last week for an unrelated issue and the SA said that I needed to leave the truck overnight for the update to complete. Needed the truck over the weekend so I didn't end up leaving it. SA also suggested that I try at home and make sure the truck is connected to my home wifi, tried this also (450mbps internet), still no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

HZo5PJo.jpg

Mine did this same thing last week. Went to Ford Owner site and completed the steps for updating Sync. A new build came out recently and it’s like 850MB; just got to the site, get you a thumb drive, and follow the instructions on the site (or google sync update instructions for a video)... everything took like 30 minutes from start to finish.

Djordan9904

Reaction score
Yeah, so annoying Ford! I’ll try the USB method.
I think it’s only because how large the file is... Sync will update automatically over WiFi but it downloads it at a slow rate, so it would take forever with this one.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine did this same thing last week. Went to Ford Owner site and completed the steps for updating Sync. A new build came out recently and it’s like 850MB; just got to the site, get you a thumb drive, and follow the instructions on the site (or google sync update instructions for a video)... everything took like 30 minutes from start to finish.
What is the latest version that is available?

Highpox1

Reaction score
Question on uploading the update via USB... I went to the FORD owner site, and successfully downloaded the update (zip file), and extracted that to a USB.. Now what? Their site just says 'INSTALL FILES TO SYNC'.. Does that mean I just plug the USB into the port and it does it automatically, or do I need to enable something? And...can I do this while I'm driving somewhere or does the vehicle need to be static with the power on for the duration? Thanks..

Highpox1

Reaction score
Perfect- thanks. Missed that link. It was painless. Once the unzipped files were on the USB, I just took off running errands and plugged it into the USB port. The auto-run file took over, and I had a message at the top of my screen saying UPDATING SOFTWARE, and it was done in about 15 min. The message changed to SOFTWARE UPDATED, REMOVE USB. That was it. What I did lose was my phone book, so that has to be reloaded. And no more idiot message when I start up.

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did mine as well. First time I screwed up something during the download. But the second run it took. Thanks for sharing all the info guys.