How often does the front Torsen Diff need fluid service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Planning on doing rear diff this weekend, and transfer case. Do I need to do front diff while I am at it?

Same weight oil in front as in the rear?

Going with 75w-110 amsoil in the rear

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends how often and how hard you're pushing the front diff. I did mine around 30k simply because the main seal started leaking and needed repairs, so I decided to just change the fluid out at that time.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@goblues38 Did you already do your front and rear diff fluids by now? What did you end up going with? Did you add any friction modifiers?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t have torsen front diff on my 2018 but I had the dealer swap front diff & TC @ 20k miles simply because I had our just purchased & installed a ford performance rear diff cover that I installed myself & figured may as well have em all done @ same time. Def early to have done- I think the manual calls for 50k under sever duty & maybe 100k for rear diff but that sounds insane to me.

If you drive hard @ times and run around in 4A a lot I think it’s good peace of mind to swap out front diff/TC fluid every 25-30k miles IMHO

I plan on doing my TC/diffs every 25k going forward

I used amsoil Severe gear 75w90 in rear, the front had dealer put whatever ford recommends

I’m fairly certain it’s a different fluid/type for the torsen- if my memory recalls I thin Ford doesn’t REQUIRE friction modifier additive but recommends it. I’d def check w/ a knowledgeable dealer to be certain although I seem to recall someone posted a table w/ all the different fluids-weights for various F150 drivelines

fwiw I plan on doing the tranny fluid @ 50k

the-waptah

Reaction score
I did both front and rear diffs and transfer case on my 2018 with 30k miles today and the front diff fluid was very dark and even some tiny glitter. The rear diff was a brownish color and the transfer case was almost black. I don't know how the previous owner drove it but from the looks of the truck it was a pavement queen. I used all factory motorcraft fluids, no friction modifiers.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership did fluid change front torsen diff, transfer case, and rear differential at 31.5k mi when I had the Ford Performance rear diff cover installed.

Service advisor said the change was not necessary given the mileage.

Peace of mind by having front diff, transfer, and rear diff done in a service since the rear diff was being drained.

Last edited:

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the question asked a lot about friction mod so i figured I'd clear it up for people who may see this in the future. Friction modifier fluid is needed for differentials that utilize a clutch style limited slip diff. Our E Locker rear diff and Torsen front diff are all gear based differentials, they do not need any friction modifier. This also applies for guys with an open diff.

The point of friction modifier is to help break in clutch style diffs.

JasonSTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it a pain in the ass to do the front diff? I remember reading somewhere, (here?) that it’s a mother to get the front cover off and then back on. I did my rear and transfer case at 10k but haven’t messed with the front yet.