How low can you go (tire psi) ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTK59

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Mexico, it ain't "new" & it ain't "mexico"
Been running stock 35s (non-bead lock) off-roading anywhere from 12-15psi (23-28psi) below 38psi. Off-roading mainly consists of dirt roads, loose sand, fire roads with wash outs, loose rock (standard New Mexico terrain) - no serious/real rock crawling. Discussion among others off-roading today (non Ford folks) that running a serious risk of breaking the tire bead running that low / no reason to lower psi on Raptor. Somewhat new to this and thought I've read 12-15psi shouldn't affect the tire bead. Mainly lower presuure for better traction and comfort. Appreciate your comments on how low you run stock 35s. Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Someone previously posted a video of some Aussies testing this and IIRC they got down to 8psi or so and were doing low to moderate speed sharp turns. Now, if you’re bombing through sand at 60mph, yeah, you might need bead lock wheels and some lower psi but probably not.

i can’t say I’ve pushed that far, the lowest I’ve gone is 20psi and I was doing fine in OBX sand. I’ve heard from others that there’s a pretty noticeable difference with just a couple PSI under 20 so hopefully others with more sand experience will chime in.

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 12psi at the dunes without beadlocks. I wouldn't run that low on the street though. 20-25psi offroad in the dirt.

Lilla Kharn

Namaste
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raptor assault runs 32/28 front/rear on their trucks. There was talk the engineers who designed the truck run down to 26 on their personal vehicles.

If you’re bombing, I wouldn’t go lower than that. I have aftermarket wheels so I don’t know anything lower than that on stock wheels.

I will say I find it unusual you went out with non-Raptors and they told you you were too low. Whenever I go out with non-Raptors, I always have the highest psi by a good amount.

JTN

Reaction score
I run my stock tires on non-beadlocks at 12-13PSI on the sand.