Houston we have a problem! (the bent frame thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19-Kilo

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted by: sprsnk
This is reposted from the Z forum,

"I will be the bastard here as I can be. I was Truck #1 on the Raptor Run. I did NOT bend my frame. I believe I am the only person who didn't. If Ford fixes these, I will be surprised. Why? The trucks were driven past what they are capable of. You do not buy a GT500 and expect it to drive like a race car, why would you buy a Raptor and expect it to handle and take the abuse of a trophy truck? A few jumps and high speed runs does not mean you put the truck through what we did. While it was not a challenging route we took, we caught quite a bit of air, jumped the road, hit numerous G Outs at faster than anything sensible, hit speeds off road in excess of 125mph (I did) and had a shit load of fun doing so. How were most of the bent frames caused? Inherient weakness in the frame and over driving the truck. Is there mods to fix this for those of you who are scared? Yes. Drive slower in the desert and know the road you are driving. I have had my Raptor rock crawling and off roading in Big Bend National Park, Terlingua and outside of Austin. It performs like a dream. Slow down through the "whoops" and the rest of you will be fine. We'll see how many more (including me) have bent frames at the next Run."

OP
OP
H

Highroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I talked to SDHQ they said they have been seeing rear raptor frames bending for months... so they did not say it was an isolated incident. When I asked what they saw was causing the bends... they said " mostly when the truck hits jumps too big and comes down too hard "

I did not ask about hitting kickers... but I am sure the same principle applies. Hit a bump to hard, you bend the back frame.

Duh! The key!

" mostly when the truck hits jumps too big and comes down too hard "

"Hit a bump to hard, you bend the back frame"

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"I will be the bastard here as I can be. I was Truck #1 on the Raptor Run. I did NOT bend my frame. I believe I am the only person who didn't. If Ford fixes these, I will be surprised. Why? The trucks were driven past what they are capable of. You do not buy a GT500 and expect it to drive like a race car, why would you buy a Raptor and expect it to handle and take the abuse of a trophy truck? A few jumps and high speed runs does not mean you put the truck through what we did. While it was not a challenging route we took, we caught quite a bit of air, jumped the road, hit numerous G Outs at faster than anything sensible, hit speeds off road in excess of 125mph (I did) and had a shit load of fun doing so. How were most of the bent frames caused? Inherient weakness in the frame and over driving the truck. Is there mods to fix this for those of you who are scared? Yes. Drive slower in the desert and know the road you are driving. I have had my Raptor rock crawling and off roading in Big Bend National Park, Terlingua and outside of Austin. It performs like a dream. Slow down through the "whoops" and the rest of you will be fine. We'll see how many more (including me) have bent frames at the next Run."

Yep. I wrote that. Same screen name. Was getting ready to post it over here too. Breakfast got in the way :birgits_tiredcoffee

DB06

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Finally an honest assessment! Kudos for being the honest warrior! :waytogo:

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so wait based on what i have read you mean its more likely that the problem is the human not the machine . i think the bigest problem is people buy this truck expecting to drive a tank but thats not you are buying this is an amazing truck yes its not perfect but neither is anytruck after watching the video posted showing how poorly other frames preformed i dnt see how those guys are crying learn to drive you want to do 120 offroad go for it when stuff breaks go sit in the corner an cry i for one am sick of the nancy boys :biggun: ranting about how ford sucks if its that bad sell ur truck an move on other wise learn to drive an us commonsense .

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Wow...
Those asshats are out of control! If nothing else all they are doing is driving down all of their reader's (ie SUPPORTERS) resale values! All for what? The cost of fixing a few trucks that inexperienced owners obviously broke on a vendor's sponsored run!? Its no accident the only guy who didn't bend his frame (who did manage to break his seatbelt!) is the one with the most driving experience. If I were out to get someone I would be going after Outlaw for not properly informing its inexperienced drivers, not Ford. Plus you have to question a company willing to put its name on the line for a run full of essentially stock vehicles with green drivers.

This is the #1 reason why the auto industry doesn't build cool cars anymore... Supid people who can't take responsibility for their actions and hide behind the internet and lawyers...

Last edited:

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Yep. I wrote that. Same screen name. Was getting ready to post it over here too. Breakfast got in the way :birgits_tiredcoffee

Well said. I don't visit the other forum, but obviously they don't have a thread about safety and playing smart like we do. Someone should post a link to this thread on their 'smear campaign' over there.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well said. I don't visit the other forum, but obviously they don't have a thread about safety and playing smart like we do. Someone should post a link to this thread on their 'smear campaign' over there.

I actually read your thread before doing the Raptor Run. It helped me. I still broke my truck and will admit that it was MY FAULT. (destroyed the front A Arm mounts, cracked the frame where the rear A Arm mount was and had 0 bushings left in the A Arm). I can blame the stupid computer all I want, but again, "I" went over something that snagged an ABS line and sent the computer into haywire. Drivers fault. I still think it comes down to this: You gotta pay to play. Expect to break something if you are going to go play. Prepare for it, plan on it and pay for the fix.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually read your thread before doing the Raptor Run. It helped me. I still broke my truck and will admit that it was MY FAULT. (destroyed the front A Arm mounts, cracked the frame where the rear A Arm mount was and had 0 bushings left in the A Arm). I can blame the stupid computer all I want, but again, "I" went over something that snagged an ABS line and sent the computer into haywire. Drivers fault. I still think it comes down to this: You gotta pay to play. Expect to break something if you are going to go play. Prepare for it, plan on it and pay for the fix.

Reminds me of my RC truck days, if you're not breaking something, you're not having fun.

Anyhow, that's for posting.