Hill Descent Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone describe the sound and feel of a properly operating hill descent control system at work. Is it a jerking shutter type of thing that makes a clunking pumping sound. Sorry I am having a hard time describing the sound and feel my truck was making heading down a steep incline. I thought it had to be a failing IWE . When I got home I read in the manual that the system is actually noisy . What was surprising to me was it seemed to be a rapid paced jerky motion. I thought it would be something that operated below the radar.

Motz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right to me. It's definitely a new feeling the first time you use it.

OP
OP
wanderfalk

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is actually good news , it was late in the day and my wife and I were exhausted from hiking in deep sand . It was hot out and nobody around, not a time to have a malfunction.Exploring the desert alone definitely has it pluses and minuses.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What they said. it sounds like all sorts of crap has failed all at once, there's more whirring, clicking, groaning than you should hear in a properly functioning vehicle.
It will get your brakes freaking hot, so use it responsibly.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Lol try activating Jill descent and set it around 1 mph. Fine, sounds like the truck is toast but its fine. Until... You decide to press the gas to get hill descent to hold at 2 mph and it completely let's off the brakes and slams back on them. It snaps your neck forward and its very very uncomfortable

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was about to start a thread about this but here it is. So here's the question

What will hill decent control do if there is no traction at all. In other words with all 4 wheels locked the vehicle still slides? Will it lock all the wheels?

I wonder this because I'm still hesitant in using it at times. For instance, picture this, going down a steep snow covered hill with major cliffs on both sides. I couldn't bring myself to turn it on in such a spot, thinking ...what if It locks the wheels Or slows them so much I start to slide...I may slip off the edge. In those situations i just use the brake so I can let go and freewheel if necessary to avoid sliding over a ledge.

Possibly it wouldn't do that. Does anyone know the answer?

Oh and Colorado people, that spot I'm referring to is the decent from the top of red cone. If you have been there you know what I mean!

--john.

woutvc

Reaction score
In my opinion,
I don't have a raptor yet, but have experience in other off-road vehicules with hill descent control.
The HDC will never lock your wheels because then you will indeed loose control. It will brak on the engine and brakes in order to have a controlled descent.
I have never had locking wheels even in muddy downhills and snow downhills.