High Pitched Whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeakPressureGarage

Reaction score
I just picked up my brand new 22 Raptor yesterday, everything seemed fine with the test drive at the dealer. When I got home, I did a walk around with the engine on and noticed an annoying high pitched whine coming from under the truck that you can't hear from inside the cockpit. The whine is constant at idle and gets higher pitched when the accelerator is pressed. I can't seem to pin point exactly where it is coming from but it seems loudest underneath in the middle of the truck, near the transmission, not as audible from the engine bay. Has this happened to anyone and know the fix? I'm obviously going to take it back to the dealer this week to look at but would like to know if yall have encountered it, in case they say it's normal or don't know the fix. It drives fine and gets boost under throttle. Thanks in advance!

AnamnesisV

Reaction score
Unless they somehow someway gave you a Raptor R by mistake lol just kidding. I don’t you should get any whining from a Gen 3. Might wanna take it back and make sure they tightened up everything especially with anything new these days!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The transmission uses an offset gear driven fluid pump. What you are hearing is most likely normal, especially if you can only hear it under the truck.

Here’s the service message Ford released regarding the noise:

SSM 50355 2017-2022 Various Vehicles – 10R60/10R80/10R80 MHT Transmissions – Whine Noise From Bellhousing/Front Of Transmission Fluid Pan At Idle And/Or While Driving
Some 2017-2022 Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with a 10R60/10R80/10R80 MHT transmission may exhibit a whine noise at idle and/or while driving. This may be identified as coming from the bellhousing and the front of the transmission fluid pan. The whine noise may become louder when the transmission is at operating temperature and may increase with engine revolutions per minute (RPM) in the park (P) position. A small amount of whine noise is considered to be characteristic of the 10R60/10R80/10R80 MHT transmissions due to the offset gear drivetrain in the front support and has no effect on durability.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless they somehow someway gave you a Raptor R by mistake lol just kidding. I don’t you should get any whining from a Gen 3. Might wanna take it back and make sure they tightened up everything especially with anything new these days!

This is exactly what I was thinking. They updated this man to a PREDATOR by mistake.

OP
OP
P

PeakPressureGarage

Reaction score
The transmission uses an offset gear driven fluid pump. What you are hearing is most likely normal, especially if you can only hear it under the truck.

Here’s the service message Ford released regarding the noise:

SSM 50355 2017-2022 Various Vehicles – 10R60/10R80/10R80 MHT Transmissions – Whine Noise From Bellhousing/Front Of Transmission Fluid Pan At Idle And/Or While Driving
Some 2017-2022 Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with a 10R60/10R80/10R80 MHT transmission may exhibit a whine noise at idle and/or while driving. This may be identified as coming from the bellhousing and the front of the transmission fluid pan. The whine noise may become louder when the transmission is at operating temperature and may increase with engine revolutions per minute (RPM) in the park (P) position. A small amount of whine noise is considered to be characteristic of the 10R60/10R80/10R80 MHT transmissions due to the offset gear drivetrain in the front support and has no effect on durability.
Thanks for the explanation. I took it to the dealership, they all claimed it was normal and that "of course it is going to make noise". There was another ordered Raptor in the lot but apparently they didn't have the keys lol so I couldn't compare.