Hello from Colorado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stephen Luck

Reaction score
Hi All, I recently bought a 2010 super cab with a 6.2L. Tuxedo Black with all the stock bells and whistles for that era. I love the truck, been wanting one for years but couldn't work it into my budget until now. It's got high mileage but all-in-all a pretty sound truck. The only issue I'm having is a vibration at highway speeds. I've changed the u joints and balanced the tires but to no avail. I'm now thinking it's the drive shaft. Seems the aluminum shaft is a weak link in otherwise a beast of a truck. Any suggestions? I've looked at upgrading to a steel drive shaft which seems cheaper than an aluminum upgrade. I will be using the truck for adventure trips and camping mostly. Might tow a single axle trailer or a Seadoo and haul motorcycles and an occasional load of fire wood. I want durability without sacrificing too much performance.

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome aboard! I can't speak to the driveshaft issue you're experiencing, but good luck and I hope you get it sorted out.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi All, I recently bought a 2010 super cab with a 6.2L. Tuxedo Black with all the stock bells and whistles for that era. I love the truck, been wanting one for years but couldn't work it into my budget until now. It's got high mileage but all-in-all a pretty sound truck. The only issue I'm having is a vibration at highway speeds. I've changed the u joints and balanced the tires but to no avail. I'm now thinking it's the drive shaft. Seems the aluminum shaft is a weak link in otherwise a beast of a truck. Any suggestions? I've looked at upgrading to a steel drive shaft which seems cheaper than an aluminum upgrade. I will be using the truck for adventure trips and camping mostly. Might tow a single axle trailer or a Seadoo and haul motorcycles and an occasional load of fire wood. I want durability without sacrificing too much performance.

I've had a failed tire balancing before on mine. Got it done again and fixed the vibration.

OP
OP
Stephen Luck

Stephen Luck

Reaction score
I've had a failed tire balancing before on mine. Got it done again and fixed the vibration.

Thanks, I’ll try that again. I’ve watched the YouTube videos of the f-150 “clunk” and it shows symptoms of that also. I greased the splines but I still hear and feel it at starts and stops.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll try that again. I’ve watched the YouTube videos of the f-150 “clunk” and it shows symptoms of that also. I greased the splines but I still hear and feel it at starts and stops.

I also have the clunk. But that doesn't affect vibration. It just annoys the crap out of you. There's a write-up on here somewhere about how to install a grease fitting so that you don't have to remove/disassemble the thing to grease it. I'll get around do doing that eventually.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could probably take off your driveshaft and get it balanced at any driveline shop, rather than replace the whole thing. Just don't drop it! I'd stick with aluminum. Steel is obviously much heavier and robs power.

OP
OP
Stephen Luck

Stephen Luck

Reaction score
You could probably take off your driveshaft and get it balanced at any driveline shop, rather than replace the whole thing. Just don't drop it! I'd stick with aluminum. Steel is obviously much heavier and robs power.

Ok. Sounds good. My thought was with the torque of a 6.2L the aluminum drive shaft could be prone to twist. If it can’t handle being dropped (the sticker on it says “scrap if dropped”) how will it handle hauling ass around desert roads and crawling up mountain trails. That’s why I was considering steel.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

could be a possible control arm bushing as well.

I’ll look at that. I didn’t consider it. Thanks.