Has anyone installed AMP XL power retractable steps on their Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sound just like my illogical wife when she's doing something stupid. "Nothing bad has ever happened to me when I do this." And she reacts in exactly the same annoying, hyper-defensive way when I suggest an alternative. So I have a question .... which one of her sisters are you? :)
Something tells me your wife is smarter than you. I’m also sure you are a big man being you know she’ll never read your post.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“Grease monkey” :happy175:

When you assume, you just make more of an ass out of yourself. Amazing how someone who doesn’t understand basic electrical now has an “engineering background” :think:

Regardless of your claimed “background”, you clearly have zero knowledge or experience in Automotive, especially electrical/electronics/multiplexing. That much is obvious by your advocation for an aftermarket device that connects to the DLC, which are widely known across the service industry to cause damaged pins and network communication issues.
I didn’t say I was an electrical engineer, did I? Whom is assuming here. No pun with the first three letters in the word “assume”.

Being I’ve never had an issue, I’ll roll the dice and presume with adequate evidence, that I won’t have an issue this go round. If I do, it is just a truck and I’ll fix it easy enough by installing a new DLC port. Easy as that.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As an electronic engineer. A life time ago, but do have the degree. @FordTechOne is 100% correct on this one for sure. I was trying to stay out of this. FT doesn't need my help. but @hyrepower if you want do do this to your truck you are more than welcome too. I personally wouldn't recommend this to anyone else. Just because you got 250k and the sub been down to that depth before doesn't make it safe. Even if they got lots of great Google reviews.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As an electronic engineer. A life time ago, but do have the degree. @FordTechOne is 100% correct on this one for sure. I was trying to stay out of this. FT doesn't need my help. but @hyrepower if you want do do this to your truck you are more than welcome too. I personally wouldn't recommend this to anyone else. Just because you got 250k and the sub been down to that depth before doesn't make it safe. Even if they got lots of great Google reviews.
1687745520905.png

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Being that I do have an engineering background...
This just registered on me as I brushed my teeth. I know, I know, I'm slow. But you know how it is with engineers. They can't wait to tell you that they're an engineer. And you didn't ... my sanitation engineer remark was closer to true than I knew. Chalk it up to my psychology background. Or my medical background. Or my statistics background. Or my ... engineering background. ;)

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But you know how it is with engineers. They can't wait to tell you that they're an engineer.
This is also 100% true.... In most cases. most of my Close friends don't know I have a degree. I never told them. I am just a dumb carpenter now. LOL I am not sure I agree with.... why you think they are Quick to tell you there occupation. There/our brains are different. not necessarily in a good way. I can talk to an engineer (you Pick the type) and I know Quickly there an engineer before they tell me. LOL

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... I am not sure I agree with.... why you think they are Quick to tell you there occupation.

They have that reputation. When I've seen it, it's usually in an argument where someone with no clue about physics or math is making silly claims and the poor guy(going with the odds) can't explain a semester's worth of material to someone who doesn't want to hear it in order to win the argument. So they fall back on argument from authority. Which doesn't work either.

There/our brains are different. not necessarily in a good way. I can talk to an engineer (you Pick the type) and I know Quickly there an engineer before they tell me. LOL

Yup. Most engineers are on the Asperger's spectrum. A bit of it generally makes them better engineers. It doesn't make them better with people.

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having owned 4 or 5 each of platinums/limiteds with the power boards, I hate them. The factory raptor boards are SO much better.

Same. I've had an F150 Platinum and two current gen Expeditions with the factory power boards -- all three started acting up before 30K miles, and gave me constant troubles thereafter. My wife's current 2021 Expedition has 31K miles and both sides malfunction around 60% of the time. In fact, when getting in the driver's seat, you open the door, the step will come down, then you extend your foot up to step on it, and it quickly retracts so you fall into the vehicle and bang your shin on the bottom of the doorframe. I've been to three dealerships and none of them can fix them. It's at the dealer right now, and they are replacing the motor on both sides. I have no confidence this will fix them -- they're just throwing parts at it. It's never been on a dirt road in its life, so it can't be blamed on dust/dirt.