Has anyone installed AMP XL power retractable steps on their Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IamNomad

Reaction score
I like the look and cool factor of the AMP power retractable steps. The XL versions have an extra 3 inch drop for lifted trucks which as a short person I would find beneficial.

Besides the $2200-$2500 price any drawbacks with reliability or loss of ground clearance?

Would ground clearance improve as these should tuck up underneath the frame?

Thanks guys

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you off-road around rocks you are likely to break you AMP steps. That is why the Raptor comes with fixed ones, essentially baby “rock sliders” so that your cab does not get damaged. I like the look of both, but I think the factory one matches the look of the truck better.

OP
OP
I

IamNomad

Reaction score
That's good information to have. I don't think ground clearance will be any less with the power steps but I will need to be extra careful not to drag them across rocks.

Hokiesean24

Reaction score
I’m struggling with getting all 3 photos, sorry for the multiple posts. This is boards up obviously.

And while I loved the look of the stocks I found them useless for steps being so high. I usually slid right out past them to the ground and scraped my legs up on the way. Might kids cut their legs on them as well. So, here we are.

IMG_4225.jpeg

SDR581

Reaction score
I’m struggling with getting all 3 photos, sorry for the multiple posts. This is boards up obviously.

And while I loved the look of the stocks I found them useless for steps being so high. I usually slid right out past them to the ground and scraped my legs up on the way. Might kids cut their legs on them as well. So, here we are.

Love your wheels. What brand/model and size are they?

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had 4 Raptors with a Platinum in between numbers 1 and 2. It had the OEM retractable steps. I loved them. One thing, among others, I don't like about the aftermarket ones is they plug into the OBD port in order to work and I just don't want a plug sticking in there at all times. The comment above about off roading is also spot on.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had 4 Raptors with a Platinum in between numbers 1 and 2. It had the OEM retractable steps. I loved them. One thing, among others, I don't like about the aftermarket ones is they plug into the OBD port in order to work and I just don't want a plug sticking in there at all times. The comment above about off roading is also spot on.
Not to mention the OBD port is not designed to have anything plugged into it all the time; it’s only intended for diagnostics. Meaning pin fitment/fretting concerns can occur over time from vibration, and there is always the possibility of the aftermarket component interfering with or pulling down network communication. The AMP systems are also horrible with EMI/RFI, I’ve personally seen them pull down PCM inputs and cause the vehicle to enter failure/limp mode.

Hokiesean24

Reaction score
Thanks, they are certainly not what most here like, but they work for me. Velgen VFT9 wheels, 22x10 with +6mm offset. Tires are Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 37x12.5. The front is raised 1.5" to level it and I had to ever so slightly trim the carpet in the wheel well. They 'touch' at about 85% turned ever so slightly. You can't even come close to feeling it in the steering wheel, but I can see if it I watch as someone turns the wheel the whole way.