Generator feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

overpropped

Reaction score
To expand on on what melvimbe was talking about.

With the 2kw option the truck has to be running all the time. I think they just have a big alternator and use the battery as a buffer for a 2kw inverter. But however they do it the engine has to be running.

With they powerboost/Hybrid 2.4/7.2kw options the truck only runs when it needs to and it has the seperate 1500 watt battery.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To expand on on what melvimbe was talking about.

With the 2kw option the truck has to be running all the time. I think they just have a big alternator and use the battery as a buffer for a 2kw inverter. But however they do it the engine has to be running.

Yes, but I don't think it's a case where you need to turn on the ignition and leave it idling exactly. My understanding is that you'll use the infotainment center to put it in generator mode, in which case the engine will turn on and be managed by the system. I would guess then that if you wanted to then drive off, you would need to turn off generator mode, and start the engine as normal. I'm not 100% sure on this as every video I've seen never shows going in and out of generator mode, just that it's on.

With they powerboost/Hybrid 2.4/7.2kw options the truck only runs when it needs to and it has the seperate 1500 watt battery.

I have a few questions about this. Will the battery go to zero before the engine kicks on, or is some juice left in reserve for driving? When the engine kicks in, is it charging the battery as well as whatever is plugged in (which seems to be the case). If so, how much charge will the battery get before the engine shuts off, and is that an adjustable setting? For example, can you run the generator just to get the battery charged up?

overpropped

Reaction score
Yes, but I don't think it's a case where you need to turn on the ignition and leave it idling exactly. My understanding is that you'll use the infotainment center to put it in generator mode, in which case the engine will turn on and be managed by the system. I would guess then that if you wanted to then drive off, you would need to turn off generator mode, and start the engine as normal. I'm not 100% sure on this as every video I've seen never shows going in and out of generator mode, just that it's on.

Based on what I have read with the 2000 watt system which is the non hybrid, the truck has to be running as in the engine running. Pretty sure they are just putting a 2,000 watt inverter on your battery for that version.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Based on what I have read with the 2000 watt system which is the non hybrid, the truck has to be running as in the engine running. Pretty sure they are just putting a 2,000 watt inverter on your battery for that version.

I wasn't trying to say that the engine isn't on, I just don't think the truck is on in the traditional sense. By that I mean that you wouldn't be able to just put it in drive and go, as you normally would. You probably need to go out of generator mode, then start the engine as normal. But again, haven't seen much information about this.