GEN 1 Gen1 rollover on the beach.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody already said it - when in doubt, gas out.

I regularly attend the TRR and offroad my Raptor with great exuberance. I've had it in some crazy sideways slides, even down hill, where I braced for rollover, but the truck never even hinted at it. I feel like it took special talent or total ignorance of the surface conditions to roll the truck like in these videos.

I’m far from an off-road expert, but I’ve done countless donuts at Pismo and other locations and never felt like the truck was going to roll. I understand the increased roll potential with the wheel at full lock, but still...

Truck was in 4wd, no amount of throttle was going to save it. Wet sand added to the issue by giving the truck even more traction. Being in 4wd is mostly what caused the truck to roll, otherwise it would've never had the traction to lift the inside front to get the party started.

raptorbone

Reaction score
Truck was in 4wd, no amount of throttle was going to save it. Wet sand added to the issue by giving the truck even more traction. Being in 4wd is mostly what caused the truck to roll, otherwise it would've never had the traction to lift the inside front to get the party started.

Got it. So it's almost as if he pulled himself over with the front drive when he gained traction in the wet sand? I never run 4WD unless I'm going slow...only 2WD at-speed to prevent the CV's from binding and exploding with the high-speed articulation.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. So it's almost as if he pulled himself over with the front drive when he gained traction in the wet sand? I never run 4WD unless I'm going slow...only 2WD at-speed to prevent the CV's from binding and exploding with the high-speed articulation.

Yup, basically. To do donuts in 4wd you need an absolute surplus of HP. And you end up spinning cookies if you do it right, like monster trucks. But I still wouldn't do it in a truck. Hard to get out of them without flipping over.

Mike K

Reaction score
I rolled a Chevy LUV when I was a young adult. It was in 4WD and It kinda climbed a short hill with the front tires and flipped over.
My brother and I climbed out the window and a Jeep showed up to right us...
Cost a bundle to repair...
Be safe out there...

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wet sand doesn't give like dry sand and it looked like he was in 4wd which is ridiculous for doughnuts. Saltwater never goes away completely. Poor truck.