Gen 3 worth it? Debating backing out for TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quadmaster922

Reaction score
Hey Guys, hoping for some feedback from existing gen 3 owners.
Ive been waiting 9 months for my Gen 3 and Ford horrible updates, I committed to a TRX. Of course, this am I get an email that Ford built my truck and will be delivered in 20 days.

So im in a predicament now. The TRX obviously has the power, but thats irrelevant to me. The interior and ride quality sold me, but only in comparisons to my Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Are you guys impressed with the Gen 3 updates, and anyone own both?
Dadlife, I was in the same boat, if I ordered the TRX would have been 107k no DMU, I decided to buy the Raptor instead as it came into the dealership code Orange 37 loaded which is the only color and model I wanted, I had to pay the 25k DMU as this was the only one available, I was first on the list for a 23’ but didn’t want to wait another year, so I ponied up, Extremely happy with my Raptor, looking forward to Moab soon, good luck with your decision

Last edited:

Dean Michael

Reaction score
Hey Guys, hoping for some feedback from existing gen 3 owners.
Ive been waiting 9 months for my Gen 3 and Ford horrible updates, I committed to a TRX. Of course, this am I get an email that Ford built my truck and will be delivered in 20 days.

So im in a predicament now. The TRX obviously has the power, but thats irrelevant to me. The interior and ride quality sold me, but only in comparisons to my Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Are you guys impressed with the Gen 3 updates, and anyone own both?
The timing of this is ironic. I have had Gen 2 and recently a Gen 3. I only got rid of my Gen 3 when the "head unit" ( I know that's not what it is called but I am old, so that's what I call it) went bad and Ford had my truck for 6 weeks and could not even give me a time frame on when it could be repaired or replaced. I spoke the sales manager and asked to make me an offer- he did and I took it. At that point I went to a local Ram dealership and they had 8 TRX's. I bought a loaded black on black and have had a few months. The differences I noticed were the TRX definitely felt heavier in the front when daily driving ( I have not been off road). The Raptor was more agile/nimble when driving. Ride quality is fairly similar with a slight edge to the TRX. Gas mileage, well, lets not go there-but we all know that going in. I loved the Gen 3 interior, so I think Ford did an awesome job with that; better than the TRX. I am sure I will go back to a Raptor but I wanted to try something different and the timing was right. I hope this helps a little.

Mars911red

Reaction score
I would go and find a gen 3 in your area at a dealeraio and just look at it to see what you think or ask someone on this forum who lives near you to show you theirS. They are out there just hard to find at a dealership right niw

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder what the boys on a TRX forum would say?
I’m a TRX forum boy. Read my comment a couple pages back.

Either way, we’re all blessed to be able to be contemplating buying the best overall trucks Ever made.

I love my TRX but would have had no hesitation in buying a raptor either if it had a v8 as well. I don’t think there is a wrong decision with either.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only you can make that deci
sion. I'd get the Gen3 because it's a good size and you could daily it in town with better mpg.

wac45

Reaction score
I am also on the TRX forum and have a post a few back regarding this. I agree with Dudeprodude post, no wrong decision between these two trucks. Both are impressive trucks, boils down to personal tastes and which features are most important to the OP.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Former 2020 Raptor Owner and now a 2021 TRX Owner here. I stick around here for news on the 3rd Gen Raptor and Raptor R.

That said, both trucks have their pro's and con's. What people need to do is drive each truck and decide which one is best for them. Both trucks are amazing. For me the TRX was better because I preferred the performance of the V8. The EcoPoop wasn't terrible, but it just never felt right to me. If I was somebody who blasted through the desert I'd probably have kept the Raptor, but my off roading consists of mountain roads and forest service roads. The Raptor is more nimble, and you feel it in the front end. Off the line the TRX is a rocket. I prefer the interior of the TRX versus the 2nd Gen Raptor (I haven't spent any time in the 3rd Gen), but I will say the Raptor seat was more comfortable for longer road trips.

To me the ultimate test would be to do a Baja Raptor Run where they have multiple Raptors and TRX's. That would tell us a lot.