Gen 3 to Gen 1 consideration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
TXAG

TXAG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne
I own and daily drive a gen 3, so have only ever used those forums until now. I have always enjoyed you as a poster, and value your opinion. I think you might be getting a little fired up on this first gen thread though. I've never indicated the Gen 1 is the better truck. I also would never indicate the first gen mustangs are better than the current ones. I do indeed think a clean gen 1 will reach a point of being worth more down the road than the 2nd or 3rd gens, not to include the R obviously. I also think my gen 3 value will depreciate at a much higher clip than a first gen over the next 3ish years or so, as that's just common sense. I did not intend to start a slap fight when I made the original post. I love my gen 3, and owning one has turned me on to owning an OG Raptor. I do have an order placed for a Raptor R with a trusted dealer and am 3rd in line, they just have not been allocated yet.

On another note- I will never buy a car or truck to not use and keep miles off of it. I just don't put that many miles on them bc of my job and having multiple vehicles to choose from.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do indeed think a clean gen 1 will reach a point of being worth more down the road than the 2nd or 3rd gens, not to include the R obviously.
Agree to disagree. The instances of prior generations of a vehicle holding value better than new models tends to be isolated to cases where the new model performs worse, it’s appearance/design isn’t well received, or it’s been cheapened down, gained weight, or lost unique features. The Gen 2 and 3 are more unique than G1 and have better performance, features, efficiency, comfort, technology, and capability. The only thing G1 has going for it is a lower price.
I also think my gen 3 value will depreciate at a much higher clip than a first gen over the next 3ish years or so, as that's just common sense. I did not intend to start a slap fight when I made the original post. I love my gen 3, and owning one has turned me on to owning an OG Raptor. I do have an order placed for a Raptor R with a trusted dealer and am 3rd in line, they just have not been allocated yet.
I know, you asked a legitimate question and explained your thought process. The baseless and ridiculous posts came from certain fanboys later in the thread. One individual is still losing his mind (literally) over the fact that I responded to one of these nonsensical posts and called out the BS.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"...The baseless and ridiculous posts came from certain fanboys later in the thread..."

FANBOYS is an acronym for the seven words recognized in English as coordinating conjunctions. Those words are
  • For
  • And
  • Nor
  • But
  • Or
  • Yet
  • So.
Using these words is an acceptable way to join two or more nouns, verbs, and many other grammatical constructions, including independent clauses. When independent clauses are joined they form a compound sentence.

The FANBOYS acronym is an easy way for children to remember which words can be used to form compound sentences. If one of these coordinating conjunctions is used, then a comma must be used after the first clause unless the clause has only a few words.

Some people use “then” as if it were a coordinating conjunction, but it isn’t. “Then” is an adverb and cannot join two clauses unless a coordinating conjunction is also used.

OP
OP
TXAG

TXAG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree to disagree. The instances of prior generations of a vehicle holding value better than new models tends to be isolated to cases where the new model performs worse, it’s appearance/design isn’t well received, or it’s been cheapened down, gained weight, or lost unique features. The Gen 2 and 3 are more unique than G1 and have better performance, features, efficiency, comfort, technology, and capability. The only thing G1 has going for it is a lower price.

I don't really disagree with you on the merits of the gen 2 and 3's. But they are not the original's. They are both still riding the depreciation curve. The gen 1 might still be, but if so does not have far to go. Nostalgia and supply/demand is a thing. It might be all for not before either of us is proven right though. Will probably be forced to drive electric self driving cars by then and be allocated on how many miles and where we are allowed to drive.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FordTechOne is a great resource. Gen 1 isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s ok. Thanks for your knowledge as you’ve helped me on multiple issues in the past!

Also…the Gen 1 will more than likely be like the 70’s Broncos, etc before too long…just sayin’…:p

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate? Read the previous stupid claims that “they will be worth more!”. It’s ridiculous and ignorant at best. A pathetic fallacy.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong. You could have certainly responded and debated without sinking to call someone “stupid” and insult and ridicule them. I think that’s what all the backlash is about.

I prefer older platforms to their newer counterparts. If given the chance, I would own a 93 fox coupe vs a newer mustang. I would own a gen 1 raptor vs a gen2 or gen3. I would rather own a f-body vs a new Camaro… a gmt400 vs a new Silverado…XJ vs a new Cherokee…etc. Absolutely, I know that they are no match for their replacements, but it’s about the feel and nostalgia to me.

I think that 15 years from now, the market will be a lot hotter for gen 1 trucks vs gen 2, because of nostalgia. Not to say anything about quality or money, just people will get more excited about a v8, as they probably will no longer exist LOL.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I know, you asked a legitimate question and explained your thought process. The baseless and ridiculous posts came from certain fanboys later in the thread. One individual is still losing his mind (literally) over the fact that I responded to one of these nonsensical posts and called out the BS.
How fragile is your ego dude

Stormtrooper

Raptor R
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being that I have owned all Raptor platforms over the years, (5) Gen1’s; Gen 2; Gen 3 37 package and now the Raptor R, I thought to comment on this thread.

Raptors since conception have obviously progressed overtime, some good progressions and some topics that can obviously be argued/debated. Nonetheless if you’re a true Raptor enthusiast you can appreciate all of the generations for what they are and know that we all will have our personal favorites and hopefully respect others for theirs.

I personally have driven and owned every Raptor that has been made from a 2010 5.4, to now the R and everything in between with the exception of a Gen3 35 package. I’ve done extensive builds on (3) different Gen 1’s, from just doing upper control arms and 3.0 swaps to a fully caged linked Gen 1 with over 700HP. My point being is I can appreciate them all for what they are, and I enjoyed all of them, some obviously more than others.

For myself I personally like the R more than any other Raptor I have ever owned, having a 5.2 SC V8 on a stock linked build, delivers a driving experience that you can take on or off-road that is second to none - I’m sure the other R owners will agree with me…

However if I couldn’t own a R, I would without a doubt buy a 2014 Gen1 SCAB! Hell I’m actually considering buying one right now, because I love the Gen 1 SCAB’s that much and always will! They’re a great platform to do a build on or just to keep stock.

That’s just my two cents, take it for what it is. Hopefully we all can see the silver lining in it all and remember that we are all here on this platform because of one thing, our mutual love and passion for Raptors and the community FRF brings.

Last edited:

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Being that I have owned all Raptor platforms over the years, (5) Gen1’s; Gen 2; Gen 3 37 package and now the Raptor R, I thought to comment on this thread.

Raptors since conception have obviously progressed overtime, some good progressions and some topics that can obviously be argued/debated. Nonetheless if you’re a true Raptor enthusiast you can appreciate all of the generations for what they are and know that we all will have our personal favorites and hopefully respect others for theirs.

I personally have driven and owned every Raptor that has been made from a 2010 5.4, to now the R and everything in between with the exception of a Gen3 35 package. I’ve done extensive builds on (3) different Gen 1’s, from just doing upper control arms and 3.0 swaps to a fully caged linked Gen 1 with over 700HP. My point being is I can appreciate them all for what they are, and I enjoyed all of them, some obviously more than others.

For myself I personally like the R more than any other Raptor I have ever owned, having a 5.2 SC V8 on a stock linked build, delivers a driving experience that you can take on or off-road that is second to none - I’m sure the other R owners will agree with me…

However if I couldn’t own a R, I would without a doubt buy a 2014 Gen1 SCAB! Hell I’m actually considering buying one right now, because I love the Gen 1 SCAB’s that much and always will! They’re a great platform to do a build on or just to keep stock.

That’s just my two cents, take it for what it is. Hopefully we all can see the silver lining in it all and remember that we are all here on this platform because of one thing, our mutual love and passion for Raptors and the community FRF brings.
SCAB Jaun gang, I'm jealous of that R though, I'd love to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.