GEN 2 Shock Rebuild/ Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngryDad

Reaction score
For those "high" (over 50k) mileage guys in the Gen2's. When did you have to rebuild your shocks?

Did you decide to rebuild or replace them?

What was the cost to replace them through Ford?

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those "high" (over 50k) mileage guys in the Gen2's. When did you have to rebuild your shocks?

Did you decide to rebuild or replace them?

What was the cost to replace them through Ford?

Another option You may want to look into if you want new ones is to check rock auto. Gen 1 guys have been getting replacements there. Pretty good price last time I checked.

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put in an order with Forged Offroad to exchange my stock shocks for my 2018 that have 53k miles for a set of rebuilt factory shocks. I hope it was a good decision. I’ll report back on my experience one I get them installed. It’s about $690 plus round trip shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rebuilt shocks from Forged Offroad will be here next week so hopefully I’ll get them swapped out by next weekend. Got me a heavy duty spring compressor and a 30 mm deep socket so I think I’m prepared. Again, I’ll let you know how they work. So far their exchange process has been easy.

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
My rebuilt shocks from Forged Offroad will be here next week so hopefully I’ll get them swapped out by next weekend. Got me a heavy duty spring compressor and a 30 mm deep socket so I think I’m prepared. Again, I’ll let you know how they work. So far their exchange process has been easy.

This is many miles away for me but how involved will the swap be??? Havent taken the time to crawl around and look at how much needs to be disassembled to swap the shocks.

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is many miles away for me but how involved will the swap be??? Havent taken the time to crawl around and look at how much needs to be disassembled to swap the shocks.
Rears should be a matter of minutes with just upper and lower bolt on each side.

Fronts will require disconnecting or removing a few steering/braking components to get the shock and spring assembly out of the truck. Then the spring will need to be compressed and swapped over to the new shock. I haven’t done this yet but I’m hoping it’s pretty simple. I’ve found some videos of removing the assembly but I haven’t found one for the actual spring swap process. Right now I’m thinking a few hours should be plenty of time. If I’m feeling good after I’m done I’ll post up my experience with some lessons learned[emoji3061]

Also the lower front shock bolt requires 400 ft-lb of torque so I need to figure that one out too. My torque wrench tops out at 250 ft-lb.

I only have 30 days to return my shocks as part of the exchange agreement so I’ll get on it as soon as they get here.

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did it go?

Happy with the rebuilds?
Shocks seem ok. I think I got what I paid for. Ride is improved over the stock shocks that had 53k miles. The swap is fairly easy. I did buy a spring compressor to swap springs from the old shocks to the rebuilds. If I get another 50k out of the rebuilds I’ll be happy.

As far as my experience with Forged it wasn’t perfect. They got the rebuilds to me in about a week or two after I ordered which is what they advertise so that was ok. My issue was that it took the 45 days to refund my deposit after they received my old shocks back. They say it can take up to 30 days to process and refund the deposit but mine took longer and much badgering from me to get my $ back. They reduced refund and they kept $100 of my deposit because of bushings that were worn or damaged so I got back $500 of the $600 deposit. I won’t do business with them again but in the end I got everything taken care of. Just a big hassle.

UhOh

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the honest review.

Wondering if others have had the same / similar experience with them?

Are there other companies offering this service that should be considered?

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the honest review.

Wondering if others have had the same / similar experience with them?

Are there other companies offering this service that should be considered?
No problem. I don’t want to bash them, maybe they had circumstances that I don’t know about with COVID and everything.

I would take a look at Texas Shock Works. They were the other ones I considered when I did mine. Can’t remember exactly why I picked Forged over them.