Gen 2 no 4wd and no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ABP

Reaction score
I have a 2018 and somehow lost 4wd. It snowed at the deer lease this weekend and I ended up getting stuck. Had the truck in 4wd the whole time but only my rear wheels are engaged. Everything on the dash shows I am in 4hi. The weird thing is I don't have any codes showing any malfunction. I will get it to the dealer this week but just wanted to see if anyone experienced this? If it was a solenoid or something I would just rather replace it myself than strand it at the dealer

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Did you try multiple ways of engaging - mode change, manually dialing the selector, try going to 4L, etc?

that’s a weird failure... any popping sounds?

OP
OP
A

ABP

Reaction score
Did you try multiple ways of engaging - mode change, manually dialing the selector, try going to 4L, etc?

that’s a weird failure... any popping sounds?

Tried everything I could think of. The truck computer acts like it is in whatever I select. 4A, 4hi or 4lo. Even makes you go to neutral for 4lo. The front when never engage.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Can you hear anything in the driveline ? Actuator working, any mechanical noise like it’s trying?

I know the IWE system can exhibit some grinding sounds, in partial engagement, and IIRC, without vacuum you’re in locked hubs. Soooo.... would disconnecting the IWE solenoid(? the $7 part that’s prone to failure) make a difference?

Other possibilities do not sound like a quick fix, if it’s a hard part.

OP
OP
A

ABP

Reaction score
Can you hear anything in the driveline ? Actuator working, any mechanical noise like it’s trying?

I know the IWE system can exhibit some grinding sounds, in partial engagement, and IIRC, without vacuum you’re in locked hubs. Soooo.... would disconnecting the IWE solenoid(? the $7 part that’s prone to failure) make a difference?

Other possibilities do not sound like a quick fix, if it’s a hard part.

No noises that I can hear over the exhaust. I will take it to the dealer this week and let them deal with it. I have been doing a ton of searching online. My best guess is the IWE system is frozen. When driving at low speed and turning on 4wd it feels like the transfer case engages. Almost like I feel that very small drag.

OP
OP
A

ABP

Reaction score
I’m zero help on this, but I’m subscribing to see what the solution is. Keep us in the loop!

Will do. I will call today and see when they can get me in. Hopefully I will have answers by the end of the week.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
well... glad that one was simple, not so glad about the moon roof. Get some Krytox grease for the seals, it will help keep the track from breaking when you open it.

OP
OP
A

ABP

Reaction score
well... glad that one was simple, not so glad about the moon roof. Get some Krytox grease for the seals, it will help keep the track from breaking when you open it.

Worst part is I never use the sunroof. The last time I opened it prior to this breaking was to check it when they repaired it. On the way to the dealer it was rattling so I tried to open it to check. Only to find it broke.