Gen 2 Issues/Dislikes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kngranch

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No gasket, RTV: ( Apply a 3 mm (0.11 in) bead of Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone to the sealing surface of the oil pan. Material: TA-357 (WSE-M4G323-A6) )

Lots of wrench turning to get the clearance needed to pull the pan. Please let us know where the oil was coming from/what the fix was.

I just looked up the oil pan removal process on the ford service site and you weren't kidding, they are really going to have to dig to get that pan off. Besides removing the obvious skid plates, they also have to remove the starter, front cross member and a few other parts. After seeing the disassembly procedure, I'm definitely going to drop in early tomorrow morning to make sure they have a truly qualified/master tech doing the work.

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked up the oil pan removal process on the ford service site and you weren't kidding, they are really going to have to dig to get that pan off. Besides removing the obvious skid plates, they also have to remove the starter, front cross member and a few other parts. After seeing the disassembly procedure, I'm definitely going to drop in early tomorrow morning to make sure they have a truly qualified/master tech doing the work.

But reassembly is "easy": "...NOTE: Use guide studs to aid in installation. Studs must be fabricated locally."

Last edited:

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just looked through my pictures. I took undercarriage pictures for the buyer when the truck was on the lift getting PDI'd. I can't tell from either angle if it's black or rust. But I thought it looked like all rust when I looked at it. I may just not be remembering correctly but I do remember it was very rusty.

I also see in the pictures that the front axles are very rusty. My 13' was the same way though

Spoke to my dealer last night about this as well. THere's a fair amount of rust in the front and rear axles of my G2 as well. My truck arrived at the dealer on Dec 21 and I took delivery on Dec 28. He said many if not all their trucks come off the transport like this. He sounded frustrated when he told me and recounted a number of stories where customers asked for build dates, etc. insinuating their trucks were "not" new. Not a big deal to me but I will have my detailer clean and seal the the undercarriage since he will be coating the exterior.

I guess the question is what is, if any, the longterm effect of this if these trucks are being delivered with rust in the undercarriage already? My assumption...not a big deal?

johnjoemd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a a good product for undercoating DIY wise after I get the rust off? I know there's a thread in the Jen 1 section but wanted to see if any new products have come out I'm not aware of.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took delivery of my truck last Friday, I have around 430 miles on the clock and I absolutely love the truck but I have noticed a few issues:

Steering wheel is misaligned. The truck doesn't pull when you let off the wheel but when I attempt to straighten the steering wheel to its centered position, it makes the truck pull left. (With or without lane assist active)

Drivers mirror vibrates while driving, passenger side mirror is solid as a rock. I've tried folding and unfolding the mirrors as the manual suggested but that still didn't fix the mirror vibrations.

I'm also getting wind noise from the drivers door/window area while driving at highway speeds. I checked the rubber gaskets around the door to make sure they are all seated properly and they look okay to me.

I also have significant surface rust on the rear diff, front cv shafts and other various unprotected steel components under the truck. The only salt/snow this truck could've been exposed to was while it was sitting/being tested in Dearborn. The front cv shafts have so much rust that its actually flinging the rust color onto the front shocks which is very noticeable on blue.

Minor stuff that I will be making you dealer aware of soon.

I have the exact same wind noise that you are talking about. It is fairly noticeable at highway speeds. I just assumed it was the wind rushing around the outside mirrors and it would be the same on all trucks. That noise aside, everything else is very quiet.

Last edited:

sgsraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just going to brush off the rust and clear over everything to protect it. Hopefully that works. Only time will tell.

Kngranch

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same wind noise that you are talking about. It is fairly noticeable at highway speeds. I just assumed it was the wind rushing around the outside mirrors and it would be the same on all trucks. That noise aside, everything else is very quiet.

They haven't addressed my wind noise issue yet but I'm betting it might be related to my door handle. I noticed a blue gasket or wire that looks a little out of place. Below is a picture of my drivers door handle.

D3CA2777-4CAC-47A1-9DA3-EA1867FAA640_zpsq07mdsom.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They haven't addressed my wind noise issue yet but I'm betting it might be related to my door handle. I noticed a blue gasket or wire that looks a little out of place. Below is a picture of my drivers door handle.

D3CA2777-4CAC-47A1-9DA3-EA1867FAA640_zpsq07mdsom.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I will take a look at my truck when I get it back from the dealer (been there since Tuesday morning trying to find the cause of a sporadic cylinder misfire) and see if that is the source of my wind noise.

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Not seeing a gasket in FTRC, but there is a BU/Grn wire for illumination that goes down to the handle. Looks like that or some other object is causing a gap and possible source of wind noise. Good catch.

Last edited: