Gen-1 Howzit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would love to know more about your audio setup, I also opted-out of the bigger display but seem to be limited in options due to the odd form factor. Do you have a thread on this forum showing what you built?

I had the whole dash apart to fix the climate control mix door, its fairly easy to tear it all apart and put it back together cleanly.
I can put one together, I need to go in and do some other interior stuff. Before I replaced the head unit I was using the output from the sync/sony DAC straight into a DSP to bypass the sony amplifier which could work in your situation if you don't mind the interface but want to have better sound. There are other options that continue to use the sony amp and add other stuff to it but I just don't like the sound profile from it to begin with. There was a half a second there where I was about to just stuff a single din head unit into the center console seperate from the sync system until I figured out the first iteration.

mtnghost

Reaction score
Right now I'm interested in front-end wear items, and if there really aren't feasible alternatives to the full replacement of UCA's and LCA's. Guessing that Ford would rather sell full pressed-in assemblies and de-emphasize shops pressing in new bushings. I'm planning to take it to the local 4WP/"Total Offroad" who did my shock swap a few years ago. Also kind of amazing that although the F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the USA, finding a decent independent truck repair place is a challenge.
I think the real issue, is with the Raptor specifically. Because of the aluminum components, you can really damage crack or otherwise make unsafe the components when replacing pressed in bushings and ball joints. This is true for every vehicle with aluminum components I have come across. Also with higher miles, night just be better off replacing the complete unit. That being said, there is a lot of aftermarket steel components out there. Just beware that the helm joints and “race” breed components require their own special maintenance and intervals. Most are not designed with NVH in mind and you always sacrifice drivability for off road prowess. I would say aftermarket tie rods, springs, endlinks and such would be a safe bet along with reinforcement components. When you get into helm joints and poly bushings you induce the extra noise, vibration, and maintenance. Hope this helps a bit.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the real issue, is with the Raptor specifically. Because of the aluminum components, you can really damage crack or otherwise make unsafe the components when replacing pressed in bushings and ball joints. This is true for every vehicle with aluminum components I have come across. Also with higher miles, night just be better off replacing the complete unit. That being said, there is a lot of aftermarket steel components out there. Just beware that the helm joints and “race” breed components require their own special maintenance and intervals. Most are not designed with NVH in mind and you always sacrifice drivability for off road prowess. I would say aftermarket tie rods, springs, endlinks and such would be a safe bet along with reinforcement components. When you get into helm joints and poly bushings you induce the extra noise, vibration, and maintenance. Hope this helps a bit.
That's the beauty of new parts, the more new parts that destroy NVH, the less you notice the newer parts making NVH worse.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually had the UBJ start to make noise so I ended up getting a set of Icon Billet uppers off of this forum for a really good deal. They're actually serviceable and fully adjustable which is a big plus for me, now I just need to get the lowers locked out and I'll be good for the foreseeable future, at least until I hit the lottery and go mid-travel. Or I become a make a wish adult and RPG or SVC feel like hooking up a last request lol

OP
OP
SCABpicker

SCABpicker

Reaction score
Yes that helps, thanks. I am just gonna bite the bullet and replace the aluminum parts. Have a road trip coming up in a few weeks, SEA-ABQ and want to hit some washboards around Four Corners, so the current looseness and rattling up front would be intolerable not to mention likely unsafe!

I kind of like keeping the truck OEM-ish since it seems a little rare anymore to see the SuperCab models.

mtnghost

Reaction score
Yes that helps, thanks. I am just gonna bite the bullet and replace the aluminum parts. Have a road trip coming up in a few weeks, SEA-ABQ and want to hit some washboards around Four Corners, so the current looseness and rattling up front would be intolerable not to mention likely unsafe!

I kind of like keeping the truck OEM-ish since it seems a little rare anymore to see the SuperCab models.know what you mean, I have been chasing down factory parts as I too believe this truck was pretty perfect from the factory as an all rounder. I too have some sort of rattle passenger front, when you figure yours out shoot me a pm. I’m thinking it’s the endlinks because I don’t see a shock leak but it sounds like a blown shock imho. We shall see. Have a fun and safe trip, don’t forget to upload some photos when you get back.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I kind of like keeping the truck OEM-ish since it seems a little rare anymore to see the SuperCab models.
There are a couple of fabricated LCAs that are out there, I'm not sure if they're worth the difference in cost between those and just waiting to mid-travel the thing. I've thought about the whole 'SCabs are rare' thing a couple of times but I fully intend on being buried in my truck so it doesn't bother me. I hold no sheet metal sacred.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A Nice truck is like a Nice A$$. You gonna turn and look every time you see one.
Nice Truck!!!!