Gen 1 (2012) making odd "clatter/rattle over rough pavement (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all,

Hoping someone has some ideas about the cause of and/or experienced this odd clatter over rough pavement?

I "think" I posted a video with this and hopefully, ya’ll can hear it (over the keys jangling). I assume it's making it offroad as well, I just especially notice it when I am driving on pavement. I do offroad it and pretty hard, though nothing insane.

I’ve been underneath and banged on everything, all seems tight, checked tailgate, doors, wheels, suspension, it's not coming from anything in the bed. Nothing reproduces the sound or seems out of order. 'something' sure sounds loose, but what??

Any ideas appreciated! This one is mysterious to me.

Apologies if this has been covered previously, I couldn't find anything searching the threads.

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on where it comes from... front /back... left /right. Or, any motion that changes it.... left or right turn, rough or smooth road?
Sounds kinda tinny like an exhaust shield rattle. I think my tailgate step has a similar sound, but it takes bumpy road to get it going.

OP
OP
William S Perry
Reaction score
Hmmm. Sounds “metal on metal”. Exhaust banging on something? Assuming it’s only while in motion?

It sure sounds like exactly the sound that would make, however I have banged on and moved around and it doesn;t seem to have any more play than it should. However, something else banging aginst it sounds like a possibility... good call!

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I sure hope not! Good suggestion though, hadn't thought of that, although they "look" alright visualy

I had a similar sound on my used ‘14 when I got it. There was a snap point on the interior of the front right coil spring.

Hopefully it’s not that but I Didn’t find it until I replaced my shocks with rebuilds. Probably hard to get a great look at the engine side of the coil but may be worth a look.

OP
OP
William S Perry
Reaction score
Any thoughts on where it comes from... front /back... left /right. Or, any motion that changes it.... left or right turn, rough or smooth road?
Sounds kinda tinny like an exhaust shield rattle. I think my tailgate step has a similar sound, but it takes bumpy road to get it going.

Like GW suggested, it sure sounds like what an exhaust would sound like banging on something. I'm deaf in one ear so locating sound can be challenging, lol. I hadn't thought about the step.

It seems to be coming from the passengers side, and definitely takes bumps to make happen, its fine on smooth pavement

GWBush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure sounds like exactly the sound that would make, however I have banged on and moved around and it doesn;t seem to have any more play than it should. However, something else banging aginst it sounds like a possibility... good call!
Sounds nuts but driving next to a building like a drive thru and hearing the sound bounce off the wall helps me. You can sometimes catch what side it’s on (louder on driver vs passenger) too. Really sounds like it’s under the truck not the front to me

OP
OP
William S Perry
Reaction score
I had a similar sound on my used ‘14 when I got it. There was a snap point on the interior of the front right coil spring.

Hopefully it’s not that but I Didn’t find it until I replaced my shocks with rebuilds. Probably hard to get a great look at the engine side of the coil but may be worth a look.

I'm taking it into my mechanic for a brake job this week, I'll have him look at that.