Gas Mileage.....Impressed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your truck new? I saw a 2mpg improvement over the first few thousand miles as the engine and drivetrain broke in.

Yep - right at 1000 miles - thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

OP said he went from Dallas to Lubbock. If he wasn’t running 75+ he would have gotten run off the road. Hell our single lane country roads are 75. At those speeds I get 13-14. If driving into a strong head wind then even less so his mileage isn’t far off at all.

Bingo - running 80-84. Still think 12.5 is pretty low, but I take the northern route to Lubbock out 114/82 and it's quite hilly.

I'm good with it - I've just always been able to exceed the EPA in my XLT and both mustangs on that same stretch.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

IDGAF.
I haven't been this happy to burn fuel since I had the two Holley 4 bbl's on the 350 bored .060 over...I think I averaged 5 gallons to the mile on that Firechicken. :ROFLJest:

I agree about the cost - I bought it for fun, for sure - but ya gotta pay attention to what your vehicle is telling you. I'm sure all is fine with it now.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
You should keep an eye on the mileage per tank and watch how many gallons you are filling up with. If you are always that low, there is definitely an issue.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should keep an eye on the mileage per tank and watch how many gallons you are filling up with. If you are always that low, there is definitely an issue.

Again MGD,

How do you know this? You have already stated that you do not own a Gen2.

Are you just going by what the Ford website says, or do you have special info?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rarely travel on the interstate so most of my travels are in 55 MPH zones. My Trip A hasn't been reset for the last 15.5K miles and it says 19.2 MPGs. I hand calculated it about 10k miles ago and it was actually 18.8 MPGs. I don't really care what it gets for MPGs so I haven't hand calculated it since. But it still amazes me that a 5,600 lb brick with this much power can get around 19 MPGs and the EPA says it should get 16 MPGs.

MattACK

Reaction score
If you guys wanted fuel economy you should have bought a lariat f150... People who buy vehicles in this price/performance tier don't buy them for the fuel economy.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I felt compelled to update my results.

I have ~8k on my truck since going to heavier 20" wheels with 37's. Stock I was getting ~16ish according to the dash calculator. I am now getting 13ish according to the cluster (14 if I use 93 octane). Still has stock programming, so the computer thinks I have 34.4" tires, so actual mpg is closer to +1mpg over what the computer shows.

My baseline of 16 mpg was using 93 octane also, so the apples - apples comparison would be the 14 displayed (actual 15 when taking into account for the bigger tires).

50/50 city/ hwy

Summary:
A) 87 vs 93 octane results in ~1 mpg difference. (Still costs more $/mi tho)

B) Heavy wheels and tires cost me appx 1mpg. Not really all that terrible.

Wolff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 8500 on my stock 17. I've averaged 14.1 mpg since I bought it using 93 octane. Not particularly impressed. I do mostly city/local driving and I do have a heavier foot and use sport mode. However considering my 2014 in the same driving conditions (fuel type and rate of acceleration) I averaged 12.8 mpg

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gas mileage. On a Raptor forum. :crazy:

Like buying a Tesla to save on gas cost.

Let's talk about important things like how to make a twin turbo 6 cylinder engine sound like a 600HP V-8. And which radar detector.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yep - right at 1000 miles - thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Bingo - running 80-84. Still think 12.5 is pretty low, but I take the northern route to Lubbock out 114/82 and it's quite hilly.

I'm good with it - I've just always been able to exceed the EPA in my XLT and both mustangs on that same stretch.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I agree about the cost - I bought it for fun, for sure - but ya gotta pay attention to what your vehicle is telling you. I'm sure all is fine with it now.

I just completed my first road trip with my Raptor and my wife that included a significant distance on interstate with non-communist speed limits ( 70+mph).
I live where new yawkers and new jersians flee south to, so there are so many unskilled, rude yankee transplants that speed limits are set artificially low for the unwashed peasants fleeing urban population centers, and the rest of us won’t be killed by them:flipthebird:

anyway - previous trips to the coast have been mostly in the 65mph and under trips. All with great results, 18-20.5 for the highway portions and even some beach town commuting.

Now I get to 64 east / west VA to the former and future Virginia county of Kentucky. I was seeing as low as 13 on the gauge readout. At first I thought maybe the pedal commander, set on city +1 might be punking me, so I whacked it down to city -2, then turned off, all with no difference. I burned through a tank of 93, then a tank of 87, another 93 - same results. 2h / 4a made no difference either, at least as far as mpg, but for quick starts it sure helps with the smile factor. Each tank of gas got just a little worse as we kept piling in bourbon bottles to bring back. :biggrin:

The tip over point seems to be about 65mph. I can keep that speed and get over 17 mpg. at about 70, I’m over 16, but not quite 17mpg. at 75, I’m seeing about 15.5mpg, at 78, I’m seeing under 15. I hate to admit this publicly, but I actually pulled up the live economy meter. I know.... :supergay:

but, after watching the gauge a bit live, I set the truck to about 74 and got about 16.0 on the more level sections of 64.

I let my wife drive for a while, peeked up from the iPhone and spied the tach spinning well north of 2k rpms - in 10th gear, so I asked - ‘how fast are you going?’ answer withheld to protect the guilty. about 2550 rpms in 10th gear.

Adaptive cruise freakin rocks.