Fuse box fried...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foxcroft007

Reaction score
Interesting conversation with Ford dealer this morning. In a separate post I was trying to figure out why my truck would randomly die...all electrical systems dead...and then come back. I was never really able to get to the bottom of this.

yesterday, I was getting on the highway and everything quits. Engine...dead and no lights on dash, radio, etc. everything is black. Luckily I was able to pull to a fairly safe place and call AAA.

I talked to the dealer this morning and he said the fuse box is fried and I’m likely going to need a new wire harness. anyone else have something similar to this? Is this a big job? Expensive job? I do have extended warrant so hope it’s covered by that.

Truck is 2018 with 42,000 miles.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m likely going to need a new wire harness. Is this a big job?

Yes. Major surgery to your truck. i would be very concerned.

Expensive job?

Yes. See above. @ $175 an hour or what ever dealer rates are now, you are looking at 20 hours+ plus the harness. $4,000 would be my guess.

I do have extended warrant so hope it’s covered by that.

Yes, depending on the root cause. If you have gone in there and done a bunch of aftermarket work that messed with the harness in any way, look for a very quick denial.

Good luck....keep us posted.

OP
OP
F

Foxcroft007

Reaction score
I talked to the dealer I bought the truck from. I wanted to confirm that I had extended warranty. I never buy those but for some reason I did this time. Phew....at least good news assuming there wasn’t some self inflicted issue. I do have every upfitter switch used with lights, cameras, radar detector but I am very careful not to overload the ratings. I can’t imagine that would be the issue.

I drove to Florida last week and did hear some clicking under the panel below the steering column. Not sure what is under there but I assume that will be part of the problem.

I’m supposed to head home on Wednesday so guess I’ll be renting a car.

OP
OP
F

Foxcroft007

Reaction score
I’m seriously annoyed with this truck. I’ve had cam phaser repair and all the various other recalls done. None of those bothered me but this does...I don’t like getting stranded on the side of the road. I might be in the market for something else...may have to go back to gt350. Probably not the time to abandon the truck when it is facing major surgery.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had my main harness replaced in my gen 1. on the left side theres is the pcm and it wasnt sealed right. anytime i hit any kind of water, the truck would go into limp mode. couldnt drive it in the rain at all. this has probably been about 5 years now.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was in the same situation as you. wanted to keep the truck, but kept having issues. but i still have it and the warranty fixed all of my issues. for the first 98k miles my truck broke something the first time i put it in 4wd. every dealer would fix the broken axle and say that they fixed it. and it would break the very next time i tried to use it. took 7 different dealers to finally fix the issue. but at 2k left on my warranty i pulled into a ford dealer and told them, my warranty is about to expire, i need to make sure that this is going to be fixed and not come back as soon as i got to the sand. well, they did a thorough test and found the issue. here i am over 100k miles since the repair and it still works. depending on the competency of the dealer and mechanic, give them a chance. it might take a few different dealers, but you will find the one that knows what they are doing

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I talked to the dealer I bought the truck from. I wanted to confirm that I had extended warranty. I never buy those but for some reason I did this time. Phew....at least good news assuming there wasn’t some self inflicted issue. I do have every upfitter switch used with lights, cameras, radar detector but I am very careful not to overload the ratings. I can’t imagine that would be the issue.

I drove to Florida last week and did hear some clicking under the panel below the steering column. Not sure what is under there but I assume that will be part of the problem.

I’m supposed to head home on Wednesday so guess I’ll be renting a car.

Another member in here had his wire harness melt; it was caused by the load he was running through one of his upfitter circuits. The electrical load on any circuit should not exceed 80% of the fuse’s rating. So if you’re using a 20A fuse, the highest draw from the component should be 16A. If you run 20A through a 20A rated circuit/fuse, especially for an extended period, you have the possibility of overheating the circuit. High resistance will also generate excessive heat, so it is important that all connections are secure, water tight, and properly crimped or soldered.

As far as the Battery Junction Box (under hood fuse box), the wire harness is separate from the BJB, so the harness does not need to be replaced unless it’s damaged. On older models the BJB was part of the harness, so replacement of the BJB required harness replacement.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i was in the same situation as you. wanted to keep the truck, but kept having issues. but i still have it and the warranty fixed all of my issues. for the first 98k miles my truck broke something the first time i put it in 4wd. every dealer would fix the broken axle and say that they fixed it. and it would break the very next time i tried to use it. took 7 different dealers to finally fix the issue. but at 2k left on my warranty i pulled into a ford dealer and told them, my warranty is about to expire, i need to make sure that this is going to be fixed and not come back as soon as i got to the sand. well, they did a thorough test and found the issue. here i am over 100k miles since the repair and it still works. depending on the competency of the dealer and mechanic, give them a chance. it might take a few different dealers, but you will find the one that knows what they are doing
Wait, you're going to leave us hanging as to what the fix was? I know it's not the thread topic, but c'mon! I'm about to swap out my front axle shaft (again) cause my aftermarket shaft is leaking (with a brand new seal).

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, you're going to leave us hanging as to what the fix was? I know it's not the thread topic, but c'mon! I'm about to swap out my front axle shaft (again) cause my aftermarket shaft is leaking (with a brand new seal).
theres 2 4wd actuators. only one was replaced. the other was the cause of it. the dealer finally changed out the 2nd actuator and has been working fine ever since

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
theres 2 4wd actuators. only one was replaced. the other was the cause of it. the dealer finally changed out the 2nd actuator and has been working fine ever since
Oh. Well crap, I'm WAY too intimately familiar with the IWEs. I even carry a spare and have trail swap time down to about 30 minutes. I was hoping for some magic.