GEN 2 Funny smell in my gen 2 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jason7731523

Reaction score
So I’ve got this weird smell coming into my Raptor from the air ducts. Smells musty - not terrible, but bad quality air. It only happens for a few seconds. Replaced my cabin filter with no results. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Any guidance beforehand?

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
you don't need to go to a dealer.

open all the windows, grab a can of lysol, turn the ac all the way up, turn the ac off recirculation.

spray can into vent in front of windshield

air out for an hour

done

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the passenger side carpet, especially the front and see if its wet at all, if its only wet in the front passenger side, theres a problem with your condensate drain, in the back is usually plugged sunroof drains or leak in the back window, etc.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A musty smell from the vents for a few seconds is a common occurrence on any vehicle in hot/humid conditions. It’s entirely environmental, not a product defect.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’ve got this weird smell coming into my Raptor from the air ducts. Smells musty - not terrible, but bad quality air. It only happens for a few seconds. Replaced my cabin filter with no results. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Any guidance beforehand?
See this thread if it gets worse, and definitely try to handle it in the warranty period if you can.

The linked post is what I finally got Ford to do. There is a procedure in the shop manual to spray the evaporator coils that Ford Tech One posted, I think elarier in the linked thread. Good luck.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually if u have the ac on ,there is a lot of moisture/condesation in the duct ,right before u shut the truck maybe 5 min early run the fan only no ac ,to raise the evaporator coil temp and to get rid the excess condensation .

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this issue since my first summer with the truck, see here.

No good or permanent solution but some things you can do...
  1. Try turning the AC off when you are 5 minutes from destination and blow warm air through at high speed to remove condensation from coils and ducts.
  2. Replace the cabin air filter late spring and maybe twice during Air Conditioner months. Carbon ones work best.
  3. Make sure the evaporator box can drain, you should see water dripping on level ground after driving a while with AC on.
  4. Three ways to decontaminate the system, all are temporary...
  • Spray Lysol in the vents by the windshield (make sure recirculation is off)
  • Buy a deodorant bomb (like a bug bomb but nice smelling and non-toxic or so the Chicomms say)
  • Or buy the more expensive stuff that you can foam up into the box from below (same deal, arguably better results)

The way I see it, Ford has the coldest and longest running AC's on the market, but if you use them like anyone living in the south where it is perpetually humid, you're gonna have issues. My BMWs never had the smell but the AC took forever to get sorta cold.