A/C Smells Like Vinegar (Not Teen Spirit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever had any issues with mine. I think my vicious old man farts kill off whatever it is that makes your trucks smell.
Well yeah, but most of us don’t need a hazmat suit just to climb into the truck.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't get past wondering how you know this smells so much like a feminine hygiene product. Maybe the lack of personal hygiene has spilled over into the poor truck :)

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get past wondering how you know this smells so much like a feminine hygiene product. Maybe the lack of personal hygiene has spilled over into the poor truck :)
Aw man, yeah I regret that one. “Vinegar smell” was a sufficient description... suppose it was frustration.

I am curious about the folks simply running it without the filter. Assume somehow there is increased airflow and maybe it keeps moisture or condensation from forming???

I do believe it helps to shut off the A/C a few minutes before shutting down the truck, but this is simply drying out the system or another way to keep moisture from forming in the system.

why don’t other cars and trucks have this issue? Better venting???

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to post this in both threads on the topic in hopes it helps someone...

I just sold my 2018 back to a dealer here in SC yesterday...smell was back/as bad as ever. None of the stop-gap fixes ever worked for more than 1-2 days. I had complained mightily for years, and opened a case with Ford about this and transmission issues in April. Finally, after this step and making them drive it after being out in the sun, etc., my dealer acknowledged the problem, and recommended to Ford that they replace the evaporator, coils, and some tubing on mine, under the (expired) original warranty. Ford originally agreed, then the ESP Warranty came in and denied, due to an "odors" exclusion. I fought with Ford, saying it was a design/system defect causing the odor, and that the odor was simply the result of the defect, not the defect itself. Ford eventually offered to go 75-25 directly with me on the repair, which was roughly $2k, so I would have paid about $500. They gave me 30 days to accept or re-open the case. I was going to fight with the ESP folks over their incorrect warranty denial, but then decided to just sell the truck back and move on.

I loved my Raptor 97% of the time, but the AC smell, the cam phasers, and the ongoing transmission issues finally led me to take the money in this distorted market. For those of you who have this issue, you CAN get some help from Ford, if you stay after it. Good luck.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a final resolution and sticking to your guns.
I haven’t had any issues all this summer, but Tuesday night went through the car wash and bingo the smell was there this morning.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is what I discovered with regard to this issue. For the first 18 months the truck got parked in the garage. It had that vinegar AC smell all summer long last year. I bought a GT500 late last year and they won't fit in the garage together, so the truck is now outside 24/7. Ever since then it does not have that smell anymore. Not once this summer have I noticed it. If your vehicle is garaged it could definitely have something to do with this. I'd still prefer to garage my truck but it is what it is.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s an interesting theory. Could be the fresh air or maybe it just dries out better outside versus in the garage. I am also parking outside more and agree I seem to get less of the smell.
Last time I washed it I brought it home and parked in the garage and it had the smell. Guess it could simply be an incubator in there for mold or whatever the hell makes that smell.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never saw such a large group of guys with stinky manginas!!! :smoke2:
Yeah, yeah. It’s a dumb thing to spend too much time complaining about with an incredible truck.

I spent yesterday wheeling and rock crawling in our jeep. Even fairly stock jeeps are crazy capable off-road vehicles. But when I got home and climbed in the Raptor I am simply amazed at the capabilities it has. Off-roading or towing or hauling a family around I can’t think of a vehicle that can equal it.
So I get it the occasional interior smell is a petty thing - just bugs me I guess.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah. It’s a dumb thing to spend too much time complaining about with an incredible truck.

I spent yesterday wheeling and rock crawling in our jeep. Even fairly stock jeeps are crazy capable off-road vehicles. But when I got home and climbed in the Raptor I am simply amazed at the capabilities it has. Off-roading or towing or hauling a family around I can’t think of a vehicle that can equal it.
So I get it the occasional interior smell is a petty thing - just bugs me I guess.
:favorites13: Honestly, that would bug me too, just busting balls. Knock on wood, even though it gets humid here frequently, I've never had an issue with any of our cars systems getting smelly. I'm thinking my vicious a s s cheese acts as a disinfectant.

Last edited: