Fuel Economy fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXCarlisleXx

Reaction score
I used to be really big Into Jeeps, never actually owned one but was always on the Fourm sites. Over there when those fellas would run bigger than stock tires the popular thing to do was a regear
A) to boost the advantage of having larger tires
B) cure some of the offset on the Speedo
C) to help out highway cruising RPMs and Increase fuel Economy...

My question for you guys is would this help the fuel economy with out being a major killer of offroad performance?

Looking forward to a reply.

-CDC

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to be really big Into Jeeps, never actually owned one but was always on the Fourm sites. Over there when those fellas would run bigger than stock tires the popular thing to do was a regear
A) to boost the advantage of having larger tires
B) cure some of the offset on the Speedo
C) to help out highway cruising RPMs and Increase fuel Economy...

My question for you guys is would this help the fuel economy with out being a major killer of offroad performance?

Looking forward to a reply.

-CDC
You could change the axle ratios to something lower. I am looking into that since this is not my off road vehicle

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could also change them to be higher for city driving and use the Tornado intake thing.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score

x2^

Re-gearing will certainly detract from some of the Raptors good features, but also improve mileage on the road if you stay outta the city. Sure, this thing drives like a tow-truck when in 4low, but it still has a governor to keep it under 100. Re-gearing may only mean you hit the limit in 2nd instead of 3rd.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Personally think the 4.10 ratio is too low, would prefer a 3.73. I at least wish 6th gear was taller. My truck seems to go up all but the steepest hills in 6th between 50-75...amusing, but not a good sign for economy.

I'd like 1600-1800 rpm @ 75.

Edit: but from what I understand regearing is somewhere in the neighborhood of $700-1000. Good luck paying that off with saved fuel. If Ford had a 3.73 checkbox on the order sheet, I would've taken it though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xXCarlisleXx

Reaction score
Personally think the 4.10 ratio is too low, would prefer a 3.73. I at least wish 6th gear was taller. My truck seems to go up all but the steepest hills in 6th between 50-75...amusing, but not a good sign for economy.

I'd like 1600-1800 rpm @ 75.

Edit: but from what I understand regearing is somewhere in the neighborhood of $700-1000. Good luck paying that off with saved fuel. If Ford had a 3.73 checkbox on the order sheet, I would've taken it though.

I couldnt agree more! only thing is would that mess with the Speedo...it would only need recalibrated right? Id hate to imagine a truck this nice had a mechanical sensor.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I couldnt agree more! only thing is would that mess with the Speedo...it would only need recalibrated right? Id hate to imagine a truck this nice had a mechanical sensor.

If it's anything like my last truck (GM), just about any tuner (handheld, profressional, Ford's own) should be able to correct it.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My trucks fuel economy doesn't need "fixed". However, to better my monthly fuel expenses I'm going to buy a Fiesta as a daily driver and keep the Raptor for weekend fun. Yeah it is a mundane economy compact car, but sacrifices must be made. Here is a pic of the upcoming purchase.
002_fiestapikespeak.jpg
2600 pounds+aero package+four cylinder engine=excellent fuel economy!!!!