Fuel 98 unleaded?!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zaherachour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had my truck in Lebanon, f-150 lariat 2005. and each 2000 miles and sometimes less, check engine light is on, and sometimes i loose power. i change more than usual my spark plugs and filter. the problem was the fuel.

the mechanic told me that American cars are very sensitive & that the fuel (98 unleaded) here is too high (probably dirty too but not proven). we also have 95 unleaded but don't ask. ppl tell the higher you go the cleaner it is. dunno if its true

a solution, i didn't find. but i need one since i will soon be shipping a raptor to the Congo, Africa where the fuel is unknown :smile:. all i know its unleaded. i will be heading up soon at the fuel supplier facility for some answers.
most of the new cars have this problem and i wish i could get an answer from the engineers.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed with Tank. Are there addatives you can add to knock down an octane rating I wonder? Obviously there are enhancers...

Maybe you're just going to have to get a tuner involved Z. If you don't have someone local to you, I think you might be ok with an email tune from someone who reads some logfiles you create?

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting....never thought about running fuel that high of a octane. There is a station close to me that offers 110 or 116 (cant remember which at the moment). So your saying its not good to run over 91 in the truck?

ruffstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the 98 unleaded a RON, MON, or AKI number? I recall Europe uses RON, but the US uses the AKI which is (RON+MON)/2. AKI is typically 4-5 points lower than RON.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
interesting....never thought about running fuel that high of a octane. There is a station close to me that offers 110 or 116 (cant remember which at the moment). So your saying its not good to run over 91 in the truck?

Generally speaking anything higher then 93 is no longer considered pump gas (E85 is the exception to this). Anything that high is consider race gas and is hell on the O2 sensors

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally I don't see what high octane would have to do with hurting the O2 sensors unless the fuel used contains some kind of additive (like TEL)?

(Most "race gas" contains TEL ("lead")... and lead will kill the sensors as well as the cats. But there are high octane unleaded fuels available)

Anybody have the facts on why high octane unleaded would hurt the sensors?

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More octane causes more deposits in your engine as an engine not designed for high octane will not burn as clean.

OP
OP
zaherachour

zaherachour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st J a tuner here in the congo:confused: let me think hhmmmmm:popcorn:. nope we dont have. not even close.:fight1:

2nd 95 and 98 is used in europe, africa, middle east. dunno about asia, never been there.
now the problem is that here the fuel is dirty. from what i hear, when the fuel comes, they mix it with water. so not only is the fuel different, its dirty... yyyeeeeyy mee:clap:.

3rd i dont know what does RON, MON, or AKI mean

should i understand that the reason of the check engine light coming up, is because of the O2 sensor?
is it possible that ford USA gives special parts for fuel for foreign countries?
i know that there ford Europe, but am sure they dont build V8 or raptors. their biggest engine they have is V6.
now i think ford has a plant in Saudi Arabia and that they are very found in American trucks and big engines but i dont wanna go there.

confusing when you get perfection. i guess i have to live in the states to get what i want