Front tires cupping on outside edges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpeedyV10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just crested 1700 miles on my '13. It's been street driven with a few days of snowy Minnesota roads. It has had 4 wheels gently off the ground twice (just for educational purposes, or course).

The outside edges of the front tires are starting to cup. Is this a normal condition? I have been pretty nice to the truck (not taking curves too fast, etc).

Should I have it re-aligned? Is this a normal condition (big truck, soft tires)? Would like to get everybody's $.02.

When I bought my GMC years ago, there was one free alignment given under arranty so long as it was within XXXX miles. Does Ford offer this also?

whiskeybent

Reaction score
I just checked my '13 this weekend (3000 miles) and I have no cupping. When I picked my truck up at the dealer they said Ford over-pressurizes these tires to 60 psi (?) and he said if I left it like that it would cup and have excessive center wear. He said they air down the tires and reprogram the TPS sensors to 50 psi (?) to stop it from happening so I had them do that. Maybe that will help.

The (?) are the psi that I remember, but I could be mistaken for exact numbers. My truck is at home today otherwise I would check the door plate and actual tire pressure.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 2,220 miles and Haven't noticed any unusual wear.

My tires were at 44-45 psi from the factory, so that's where I've kept them.

farman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep Ford will give u one free alignment.i had trouble with my brand new 2012s tires around 2000 miles.they started to rip chunks off the outside egdes and almost look melted.(not sure what that is called) i took it to the dealer and they said they had 5 techs look at it and said it was from excessive tire spin,which was BS since it hadnt been offroad yet and i had been taking it easy on road.So i took it back again and told them to do the free agilnment anyways,they said it was out of toe a tiny bit and it wouldnt have made any difference,and they said they have been hearing about my complaint alot from raptor guys.So anyways after they supposedly did nothing to the agilnment it stopped chunking and the tires looked fine for about 10000 miles and a year later.oh and if u do get it agilned make sure u get a agilnment sheet, i didnt get one at my dealer when i took it in,but i got one when i had it reagilned after i mid perched the truck at a different dealer. good luck

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

i just remembered that when i first got the truck i checked the tire pressure in all my tires and i had 55 in both right side tires and 45 in both left side tires,and i set them all to 45 psi. something to make sure to check.and yes i checked them after the truck had sit all night so they were cold.

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My new 2012 had an alignment issue when I picked it up last month new. The head mechanic at dealer and I thought it was due to tire pressure difference in front tires. As it says on door panel they should be at 44psi cold. Turns out I needed alignment anyway.
The point here is he told me that incorrect tire pressure will cause the cupping you are experiencing and to buy a really good digital pressure gauge - the $15 ones won't cut it. Nor will the ones at gas stations.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer took mine down to 38 psi...I inflated back to 45psi cold...sounds like to set standard...

Mine rode better at 38psi, but seemed mileage suffered, not that I care, but the Low tire pressure warning came on when it got cold...

No cupping...yet...

OP
OP
S

SpeedyV10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will check pressure, and also bring up the issue when I take it in for the 1st oil change. They will also need to change the Nav screen to give me the 'Raptor' splash, and not the 'Ford' splash!

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

As a side note- I was a little surprised that I could not find the tire pressure readings on the productivity screen! You would think that an off road truck would show the tire pressures as many people air up/down based upon their terrain!

Chayse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine were all at 40 PSI from the dealer. Tag inside the door says 44PSI cold. I made the change to 44. No wear issues at 4000+ miles. Will rotate soon.