GEN 2 Front Camera Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CigarSmokingZombie

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Called a local dealer today and have appt next week. They seemed to be familiar with the issue for 2020s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2018 and occasionally when I go to select the front camera nothing happens. I’m usually in drive and stopped for a moment. It does this occasionally and I can’t get it to repeat when I want to so I haven’t taken it to the dealer.

It’s a nice feature to have especially if you are Offroad and cresting the top of a steep hill.

Eric16l

Reaction score
Been having issues with my rear camera for a while. It goes black occasionally for hours at a time then comes back...usually after it rains. Yesterday, I got a warning that my front camera malfunctioned. It’s now a recurring issue. There is also no cruise control available and it won’t even let me change the setting to normal from adaptive.

This is my 4th raptor, all Gen2 and I’ve had a problem with every one, so annoying. Still love the truck.

Anyone had this issue? Off to the dealer for repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had the same issue. Front and rear camera would work occasionally or just be a Blue or Black screen. Brought it to the dealership on Monday and they told me they have to replace front and rear cameras. Special order and should be in Wed or Thursday. So hoping this national backorder that someone mentioned is not going to mess that up.

Definitely bring it in to the dealer. They will fix it.

WTFOT

Reaction score
My front and rear 9not at the same time) would keep going darker and sometimes fail to turn on. The dealer could not replicate. I removed the camera plug and added a small amount of dielectric grease and have not had the problem. Not implying that some cameras fail and need replaced just suggesting if it intermittent this might help.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘17 here and have had intermittent issues with my cameras as well. Just started happening recently at 29k miles. Oh well, time to the dealership she goes

Cornwallis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The strangest thing with my 2020...the front camera malfunctioned I think the 2nd day I had the truck. It has been intermittent since and at one point did not work for weeks. Then about 10 days ago it began working and has since been fine. This is by far the longest stretch it’s worked properly.

deadeye99

Reaction score
My front and rear 9not at the same time) would keep going darker and sometimes fail to turn on. The dealer could not replicate. I removed the camera plug and added a small amount of dielectric grease and have not had the problem. Not implying that some cameras fail and need replaced just suggesting if it intermittent this might help.

Interesting, where would this plug be? I will try this before taking mine in. Thank you.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just had my front camera go really dark with some barely visible red and blue colors in it. I went into a store and when I came out and restarted it the camera was up again. I guess I'll take a look at the plug, this is the first I've had an issue.

Reaction score
Front one stopped working. Not covered under warranty per Ford since I have 55k and no extended warranty. Found the connector from the truck filled with gunk. Must not be a water tight seal and broken pin. Got the gunk out and pin. Installed new camera and..... still doesn't work. Now backup camera is acting up and 360 isn't working as well.

20201101_130019.jpg

20201101_125628.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Front one stopped working. Not covered under warranty per Ford since I have 55k and no extended warranty. Found the connector from the truck filled with gunk. Must not be a water tight seal and broken pin. Got the gunk out and pin. Installed new camera and..... still doesn't work. Now backup camera is acting up and 360 isn't working as well.

View attachment 155166

View attachment 155167

Did you buy the truck brand new? Ford is usually pretty good about helping out with post warranty repairs if you're a loyal customer.

As far as the camera, it uses a weatherpack seal, which is the industry standard. I'm surprised to see the amount of corrosion on yours for a Florida vehicle; that is pretty bad. How does the harness side of the camera connector look? With the component (camera) side being that corroded, the harness side is probably no better. You may need to have a new pigtail soldered on to the harness to restore camera function. Whenever the camera is replaced, the 360 alignment procedure needs to be performed, which requires special mats and the Ford scan tool (IDS). That is why your 360 camera function is not operating properly.