GEN 1 Fox 3.0 Rear - Boot or dust shield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of Fox 3.0 rear shocks. They come with boots but after reading a bit about how the boots collect dirt, water, grime in them, I was thinking of deleting them.

On my 2.5s the dust shield that comes stock on them eventually got beat to hell, it almost looked like they melted onto the shock because of constant rock hits they endured.

I see a few people on FRF running the 3.0s without the boot, I am hesitant to do this because of the rock damage my 2.5s experienced. I would welcome a set of dust shields for the 3.0s, but to date I haven't been able to find ones that are made specifically for them.

I was thinking I could try to pick up a Roost Shield Kit and drill out the center hole to make it fit. But that feels kind of mickey-mouse. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they approached this issue?

Thanks!

kD4fOBzLFUOsy2eQnIm6ottZxeWm5Hywm4mTU-n1f1CAA-Fa2zCbmtG_vxvwNZ85kCvLLALwYMYGpCs-u6uiKiL4d_Jp1uA3VBqg-UqG9Az7q3t6KaMGnDarNOdu1MqRxbE0wx9_oTS_85vwGVcfjjtqO-EMaD-guKSn22ykorb-H7f0-TtkU6DbFk5U6uVzudbUu7BTq0SBvZSnIrd_gDUiufePuK4xJA5uJ83CGCroBZBcMmLkisfqQYBOTTTjTNmKUW7N10kuLxvaQj6cf5AlPFbtmPDSjmmz8oSRMsAl0SXdw29CMge9BfxvjTtDBQ4-T8ForSkJHhMOqyqp4CpoKG52yYnrWg-AHcxhQFk00wN23C8Rw7GjR7fzs3XD7eQ1bQLnGkkN1tzlMIGehH-wIMllx_8NLntHLT7LrMjPbyMqaS3C1q3sJW-n8jBfZYybpsx8CJQXzruSOvAlqygTgrhenLZuwaXax6xxUsPmU8Re4QAPbFflTJzZm1DM2rJaa2SUEAFBiGjSNa9aWx54AoAeL1rmt_DZpchmodULbm4U25eDOOwh2gEWe6UHNQIO3_7N_IzR_3OwjY3rnAKLX2Jo5mFmDJH_rnhDUQ=w1140-h1518-no

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added heavy duty boots/bellows (used for industrial/machine expensive at $60 ea.) then I later added mid flaps ($40 total DIY).

These machine bellows are what some of the race teams were using to improve durability.

OP
OP
bigrig

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added heavy duty boots/bellows (used for industrial/machine expensive at $60 ea.) then I later added mid flaps ($40 total DIY).

These machine bellows are what some of the race teams were using to improve durability.

Shoot, I am not sure how I missed the thread on the mid-flaps and machine boots. Sorry for resurrecting an already discussed topic.

I will give McKenzies in Southern California a call to see what they have in the way of heavy duty machine bellows.

@MatMan - Thanks for helping me get on the right track!

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, no problemo.

I was told that the race teams eat them up and replace them every race. I've had mine on for a few years and 60k miles (500 off-road) and one has a slash in it but otherwise g2g. They hang loosely down to the bottom of the bottom shock mount so no clamps or anything special.

So they're more durable but certainly not a shield.

When I called fox on this dilemma they sell the replacement boots but they're thin and damage easily. They said don't worry about shafts being damaged, it's very rare and if it happens, a shaft is very cheap to replace (so shields are overkill).

Last edited: