Ford Raptor SVT VIAIR Bolt in compressor kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really like this install and the fact that no tank is needed, but im still on the fence about this until being exposed. Has anyone built some sort of box for this unit that can be opened as needed? Also im planning on running my off road light to AUX 1 and 2 and wanted to know if AUX 3 can handle this compressor? any thoughts?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
What about putting something like an air-filter skin over the compressor when not in use? That should keep the moisture and dirt from causing issues??

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Definitely no Talon. Check the following picture I put together; you're really kinda sorta wasting Aux 1 and 2 by using lights. I would bet you don't need anywhere near 30amps for them (and I'd also bet you want a fuse to pop long before they draw 30amp if something does go wrong). On the other hand, this compressor will draw 19amps and as you can see Aux 3 and 4 cant handle that much current.

aux_wiring3.png

As for protection... I just don't think its needed guys. These are sealed units. You're paying a premium price for a compressor that's warranty'd not to have issues with water or mud or dust. If you're going to cover it, you might as well save a hundred bucks and go with a non sealed equivalent. Mine's been under the truck right behind the front wheel, 15" off the ground thru rain, mud, lots of dust and a ton of standing water. Other than loosing the air filter, it still works like a champ.

PS: A box is probably a bad idea for another reason... this compressor puts out a LOT of heat when in use. It needs air flow around it to stay cool. A box will stagnate that air and might do more harm that good with the subsequent heat build up.

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im planning on running a 4 HID set up in the front similar to BS's truck. i will have to check his out and see how and where he wired his to. so maybe the compressor on aux1, HID's on aux 2 and 3, then i have aux 4 open for my rear dust light

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Talon keep in mind that I = P/E, or amps = power (watts) / Volts

If you're running HIDs, they're probably 35w or 50w. Plugging in for our 12v system, that means 4 of them will draw 11.66 or 16.66 amps. And if you want to have them on two different switches, you can divide that by two to get approx 6amps or 8.5amps; a perfect fit for Aux 3 and 4.

Something you definitely don't want to do is have a 30amp fuse protecting something that normally only draws any of those numbers. Food for thought.

Talon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talon keep in mind that I = P/E, or amps = power (watts) / Volts

If you're running HIDs, they're probably 35w or 50w. Plugging in for our 12v system, that means 4 of them will draw 11.66 or 16.66 amps. And if you want to have them on two different switches, you can divide that by two to get approx 6amps or 8.5amps; a perfect fit for Aux 3 and 4.

Something you definitely don't want to do is have a 30amp fuse protecting something that normally only draws any of those numbers. Food for thought.

thanks for the advise, lets just say im not very "electrical savvy" and i will probably end up paying to have all my electrical and lighting installed so i dont blow something up...

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want to save your Upfitter switches for lights, etc. you could always use a separate switch and circuit for the compressor. Seems like a logical solution and easy to do while you doing all the other installation work on that project.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want to save your Upfitter switches for lights, etc. you could always use a separate switch and circuit for the compressor. Seems like a logical solution and easy to do while you doing all the other installation work on that project.

Definitely logical Dan. But just to make sure my point is understood... You don't want to put a huge fuse on something that doesn't draw huge amps. You're not protecting anything if it burns out because your fuse was too large for the system; aka it didn't blow and instead allowed stuff to fry. Upfitter selection needs to be about appropriate fuse sizes, not necessarily just about which number Aux you would prefer.

AuPanda

Reaction score
Also remember you can replace the fuses fairly easily on uplifter 3 & 4 to put in a different amp fuse. 1&2 are the oddly shaped fuse that has a fairly high minimum amperage.