Ford Pass no longer starting/locking/unlocking truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D Wilhelm

Reaction score
May not be the app. Mine wouldn’t work when I got my truck. Nobody at the dealer knew why? Needed to turn remote start on in the instrument cluster advanced settings.

Vwikdos

Reaction score
Have you tried installing your vehicle on your wife's phone? It may just be an issue with your phone. Sometimes these things can be really buggy.

Willie DEE

Reaction score
Ive been having what i thought bluetooth issues --- no phone nor music from phone playlist
turned phone completely off restarted - no go
removed phone from truck bluetooth / reinstalled - no go

got out of truck over night an i magically started working - its done this 2 times in the past 10 days

JerzeeRaptor

Reaction score
My wife’s phone does the same thing. It won’t lock/unlock/start truck and it’s not showing any live data from my truck since November 4th on both my and my wife’s iPhones. This is becoming so frustrating. :mad::mad: That remote start feature on your instrument cluster if for your key fob and not the FordPass app. If you disable it you can use your key fob anymore to start the truck but you can still use the app.

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried installing your vehicle on your wife's phone? It may just be an issue with your phone. Sometimes these things can be really buggy.

I've installed the app on multiple devices, all of them are showing the same outdated info from when the vehicle last checked in on 1/1/2020. At this point it doesn't appear to be an issue with my personal device(s). Either something is going on with the FordPass service for my account, or the truck isn't communicating with the Ford Pass service.

sparkee13

Reaction score
I'm having the opposite problem - Ford pass works great on my Raptor, my work truck not so much... I have a 2018 F150 for work. I have both vehicles in Ford pass, for some reason my work truck gives a lot of intermittent issues. I get a lot of deep sleep mode alerts, try unlocking / locking / starting the truck from the app and it just times out or says it can't access the vehicle. Sometimes when I open the app it doesn't even show the unlock / lock / start buttons at the top. At the same time I can swipe over to my Raptor and it works flawlessly. Every time. I've brought the truck in to 2 different dealers multiple times, no luck. They say there's nothing wrong...
All that to say, I don't think it's an app problem, I suspect it's on the vehicle side.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JerzeeRaptor

Reaction score
Dropped off my truck today at dealership so that they can run some diagnostic testing on it which in dealer terms pretty much means we have no idea how the hell to fix this problem so we’re gonna sit in your truck for a few days and not figure out shit. One thing that I did discover today while on the phone with the FordPass idiots and I let my dealer know as well was that the “ESN” modem # that comes up in my truck under “General” does NOT match the ESN# that FORDPASS has and they keep telling me that they can’t communicate with the modem in my truck. NO SHIT...if they are two totally different ESN #’s then that is obviously a reason why you can communicate with my truck. Also FordPass said they cannot change the ESN # on their end to match my trucks. They keep telling me the same broken recorded line “you’ll need to take it into the dealership for them to look”.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I let my dealer know as well was that the “ESN” modem # that comes up in my truck under “General” does NOT match the ESN# that FORDPASS

"Mo-Dem. Moooooo-Deeeeeem. Man, this guy still talking about modems? Is that my phone buzzing?"

^^^ What your service writer is thinking as you are telling him all of that.

Johnny Quest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suggested check list: Identify as many factors that could be in play and then go through them each from easiest to hardest until the issue is found or fixed. Doesn’t always work if there are two or more factors...

My Quick thoughts on potential factors...There’s probably a few more items to mention.

The FordPass potential points of failure:

The FordPass server (out of our control):
Connectivity/uptime, maintenance

Your Phone:
Connectivity/signal, app install, app setup, phone setup.

Your Truck:
Modem / Connectivity, sync system software / hardware / setup, vehicle’s physical ignition / locks, battery

Should be easy to check the server by asking another member to verify it works for them..

Next easiest item is probably checking the phone factor. It may be as easy as closing the app that sometimes gets hosed in the background and then relaunching it.

Last check the truck. Connectivity from the truck might be the most likely issue if it is parked in the garage, away from cell strength (your on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere).

I know when I first bought my truck the lock / start feature was not displayed on the app for a few days. I’m guessing that the phone / server / and truck all have to be communicating for this to be working. It could have also been a dealer setup delay. But it has temporarily disappeared at least once after it was already working so the dealer wouldn’t have caused that. In any case it took a little time to return so like with other web services there may be uncontrollable delays.

Just my $0.02