Ford ABS/Brake gremlin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any ford techs heard of a truck consistantly pushing ABS code c1013? The dealers just keep replacing the hydrobooster module at the request of ford engineering support but thats clearly not the problem. Brakes have been bled 100 times, and all ABS wheel speed sensors have been swapped. The dealers had my truck since May 08 and at this point we dont know what else to do since thats what the workshop manual says to do for these codes and the engineers in Ford are also telling them keep changing hydroboosters

Symptoms: driving, sometimes when braking the abs and parking brake light comes on. Lose hill start assist, adv track, etc. happens regardless of drice mode. Turn the truck off and back on and it all goes away with no issues.

It doesnt mechanically effect anything until the lights come on which leads me to believe theres an electrical vs mechanical issue.

Trucks not tuned.

@FordTechOne

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since they already replaced the Electric Brake Booster (EBB) that can obviously be ruled out. Are the brakes the factory 2 piston front/1 piston rear?

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since they already replaced the Electric Brake Booster (EBB) that can obviously be ruled out. Are the brakes the factory 2 piston front/1 piston rear?
Yes they are. The whole brake system and electronic system of the truck are completely stock.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do you have the conditional code by chance? Example C1013:09?
its 7A thats the sub-code.

The dealer called me theyre doing another hydro booster. Essentially they pin a slight drop in pressure that causes all these issues so itll be swap #4 per the engineers in detroit.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
its 7A thats the sub-code.

The dealer called me theyre doing another hydro booster. Essentially they pin a slight drop in pressure that causes all these issues so itll be swap #4 per the engineers in detroit.
Ok, 7A is Brake System Pressure: Fluid Leak or Seal Failure. I’d suspect either they’re not getting all the air out of the system (requires a pressure bleeder) or there is a faulty brake system component, such as a caliper with a piston that is over retracting. The engineers can only make recommendations based on what the dealer tells them, but I doubt they’ve received 3 faulty EBBs in a row, especially if the current DTC is the same as the original.

OP
OP
Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Johnny@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, 7A is Brake System Pressure: Fluid Leak or Seal Failure. I’d suspect either they’re not getting all the air out of the system (requires a pressure bleeder) or there is a faulty brake system component, such as a caliper with a piston that is over retracting. The engineers can only make recommendations based on what the dealer tells them, but I doubt they’ve received 3 faulty EBBs in a row, especially if the current DTC is the same as the original.
Should I recommend changing calipers to them? Not sure how to hint them at this since theyll only do what the codes tell them