FNG checking in from the Carolinas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dove fully back in this evening because I’m me. Confirmed that the switch is definitely integrated into the latch assembly. Yanked the entire harness and cut away the wrap to fulling expose the run of wire inside the bellows. Problem was immediately apparent and was basically the same failure everyone experiences.

09d960191036511ec5167f2096a52172.jpg

Two completely broken and two that the jacket was worn all the way through.

6834b31468e29b1ceeccd3e3e31c5ff3.jpg

Again a repair I’m proud of as normally I’m a hack when it comes to electrical work. Added extra wire to the broken lines to give them a little strain relief and because they were broken really close to the connector. Used some solder seal connectors (love these) and even de-pinned them and everything!! Also something I can’t be bothered to ever do.

ccbd8f0cdeded05b58e3a4afae7d5459.jpg

Healed the ones with cut insulation and put it back together.

366da1e3c93f760654f1380f806648c0.jpg

All tidied up. Almost looks like I know what I’m doing.

bbec0ec4b6876a50d8871ff2f85028a5.jpg

All is good now. And now I know how to fix my father in laws truck. He’s been living with it for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice!! Crazy it broke right there at the connector and not inside the bellows. Glad you found it and got it done, not gonna happen again in THAT spot haha!

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice!! Crazy it broke right there at the connector and not inside the bellows. Glad you found it and got it done, not gonna happen again in THAT spot haha!

Yeah man, good feeling. So the failure mode is that, by design, the wiring should retreat into the door panel when you close it, but what actually happens is that kinks between the cab and door and then stays there, so over time of just cyclic bending will just fail. Why mine's close to the connector I'm thinking. After analyzing this a little more last night, I came up with a possibly better solution. The connector is clipped into the grommet on the cab side. If I unclip it there, it would allow for more degrees of freedom and the excess wire could distribute itself about both cavities instead of being forced into one (or kink). I think it's worth a shot. Couldn't be worse than the clearly failure prone current situation. Hope that makes sense to somebody.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine rebuild has begun. Follow along here. We're not far down the road, but it's progress all the same.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a maintenance item that I hadn’t attended to yet. So I lubed up my shaft.

0912c8d9f9396cc92054488387db5455.jpg

Hopefully remedies all of my ‘slip-bump’ woes.

Engine build moving along.

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't done a whole lot to either truck recently, which isn't really necessarily a bad thing. Just picked up the engine from the machine shop, so I'll update that thread shortly. Done a couple of little things.

Installed a tailgate assist strut from Ronin Factory. Not normally my type of mod but honestly I was just trying to win the last giveaway truck. It's pretty meh, tbh. Price wasn't super expensive, but could definitely be found cheaper elsewhere. Packaging was nice. Quality was not great. The printed logo on it looked terrible and the fitment of the upper ball and socket required a fair amount of persuasion. Does a good job of not letting the tailgate slam down. Doesn't offer much assistance lifting, but some.

IMG_7009.JPG

Replaced my hazy grille marker lights that had a blown LED with some Morimoto ones. Much cheaper than OEM.

IMG_7084.JPG

WHBD

Reaction score
Quick update. Already having an issue with my driver side headlight. Waiting on a replacement. Not a good look.

Did this quick and easy yet satisfying mod. Blacked out my chrome shifter and cup holder bezels:

View attachment 303659

Looks much better imo and no more blinding glare on my drive home.

Replaced the parts store hub/sensor with an OEM one. All good now. Truck is happy. Looks like they gave me a regular F150 part and something with the descent control doesn’t play well with the sensor or ring in that part.

View attachment 303660

Put my stock axle back in while I was in there and that was when a simple straight forward job went a little sideways. When I pulled the axle, the intermediate shaft came out with it. So I ended up having to pull the coil-over in order to get every out and separated. Anybody ever heard of that happening?

Next on the agenda is to take a peak into the valve springs. My suspicion is that’s what’s causing this intermittent miss and lumpy idle. We’ll see.

What did you use to cover up the chrome? Very much enjoying your thread(s), thank you!

OP
OP
PD1744

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you use to cover up the chrome? Very much enjoying your thread(s), thank you!

Well thanks! I dipped the pieces (Plastidip). I think I tried wrapping them at first and then remembered I'm the worlds worst vinyl wrapper. Dip is a little harder for me to mess up. Still very happy with it.

Neasboy

Reaction score
Replaced the speed sensor and camera today.

View attachment 303207

The Camera Source camera is great. Came with OEM emblem (extra). Not the cheapest solution out but cheaper than. OEM and saved like 15% using the F150 forum code. I think the resolution is improved over OEM and install was a breeze.

Wheel speed sensor was also easy peasy however still didn’t clear my dash lights! Instead of throwing more sensors at it I had a shop diagnose it with a proper scan tool and found out it’s the one that came in the brand new hub assembly. Jesus! I’m not normally a ‘Parts Store’ parts guy but in a pinch I do what I gotta do. However after this and the leaky caliper I just replaced again on the 4Runner, O’Reilly is not batting a high average with me.

HI Can you tell me what's the Forum discount code to use at Camera source please?