Finally upgraded my Gen 1 to Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Munster04

Reaction score
Check out his thread. Lot of people with over 100k miles since tuned on their Gen

Beautiful truck! And $27k saved?!?! Impressive.
Yeah he wanted to move it. He just received a new Raptor R that day. Most people want the sunroof which made it hard for him too sell. I was personally happy not to have it. Took me a few months of searching everywhere but it paid off. Even got it well be low MSRP. Dealer even had all the plastic on everything inside so who ever purchased it could remove it like a Xmas gift. lol

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried about the warranty if you replace hard parts like the intercooler. Before the MAF and after the cats is the best way to go. I wouldn't mess with the exhaust though. Ford tried really hard with the Gen 3 to make the V6 more palatable.

What's wrong with the sunroof? The glass roof is one of the biggest draws to me coming from Land Rovers.

Good on you for rubbing it in their face. I flew 1 hr and drove 2hrs to do the same. I used to be a Ford guy, but have received so much better dealer service elsewhere especially Dodge dealers. I get Ford products are hyped. ADM still disgusts me.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's wrong with the sunroof? The glass roof is one of the biggest draws to me coming from Land Rovers.
It's heavy. And the weight up high, which hurts handling. You need to lube it every three months. You only open it after venting to keep the fragile plastic track parts from breaking. And the drain holes tend to plug up. And it's expensive to buy and very expensive to fix. Other than that, they're great. :)

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What’s wrong with the sunroof? The glass roof is one of the biggest draws to me coming from Land Rovers.
For true off-roaders, the sunroof is considered a weak point and thus is a no-go. There’s a rollover pic, if I recall, in the Gen 2 section that can show you better than I can tell you. Plus, the added weight savings.

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried about the warranty if you replace hard parts like the intercooler. Before the MAF and after the cats is the best way to go. I wouldn't mess with the exhaust though. Ford tried really hard with the Gen 3 to make the V6 more palatable.

Good on you for rubbing it in their face. I flew 1 hr and drove 2hrs to do the same. I used to be a Ford guy, but have received so much better dealer service elsewhere especially Dodge dealers. I get Ford products are hyped. ADM still disgusts me.
One of the Gen 3 guys in my group had his sunroof randomly shatter when we were on a run in February. We were on snow, not a rock in sight and the rear panel just broke randomly at low speeds on flat ground. Duct tape got him through the trip and then Ford scratched the shit out of his paint during replacement. It can be a massive headache for something that in my case is closed 99% of the time.

sombra

Reaction score
OP, what year Gen 1 did you have and how many miles did you have on it?

Congrats on the new truck from a Gen 1 owner.

ViciousRaptor13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah he wanted to move it. He just received a new Raptor R that day. Most people want the sunroof which made it hard for him too sell. I was personally happy not to have it. Took me a few months of searching everywhere but it paid off. Even got it well be low MSRP. Dealer even had all the plastic on everything inside so who ever purchased it could remove it like a Xmas gift. lol
So awesome. Well, congrats again!

OP
OP
M

Munster04

Reaction score

Two of my friends who use their Raptors off-road and twisting the body popped their seals on the sunroof. Not a fan of glass over my head if I roll my truck.

I'm hard on trucks and run the mountains on trails that are rough and crawl over down trees chasing wolves. I will leave my truck alone for a few days in the winter up top as I'm tracking and hunting. It's not uncommon to come back to two or three feet of fresh snow. Break out the snow shovel and clear a path to get up speed to get going. Normally run in front with the sled or snowbike to create trails for the tires. This makes for one rough ride as you can image making a new trail down the road. It's not for everyone but it's my job.