Finally removed IC shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These trucks have shutters up front that remain closed quite a bit. To allow for aerodynamics and regulate air temps. On most cases you want continuous air flow through the IC inker that charge cool and make more consistent power. Hence pulling out the shutters at least in front of the IC to allow this.

Even if you upgraded your IC, they still heat soak. This makes a big difference.

What the hell is an IC inker?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
One thing I see that may change by removing the shutters: it’s gong to be easier to hole the CAC with a flung rock or road piece. I think a wire mesh, like the Cox radiator guards for motorcycles would be a nice add on if you’re not running the shutters. It’s not as likely because of the honeycomb grille but it’s still possible. I’d gone years without any issue on a bike but at the urging of some more seasoned riders I picked up the Cox guards for my Duc, then my zx10r. I know the Duc radiator got saved from at least 2 rock strikes because the guard was hit and scuffed pretty bad.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I see that may change by removing the shutters: it’s gong to be easier to hole the CAC with a flung rock or road piece. I think a wire mesh, like the Cox radiator guards for motorcycles would be a nice add on if you’re not running the shutters. It’s not as likely because of the honeycomb grille but it’s still possible. I’d gone years without any issue on a bike but at the urging of some more seasoned riders I picked up the Cox guards for my Duc, then my zx10r. I know the Duc radiator got saved from at least 2 rock strikes because the guard was hit and scuffed pretty bad.
True that. The R&G one on my last R1 definitely had a few saves. I’m waiting for an SVC IC in the mail right now but if I did a stock location swap down low, I’d be inclined to do something like this.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thats why it’s always best to lead the pack. But there is no escape for the lonely dump truck dropping pebbles way ahead of you.

A mesh protection may be worth a look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter