Finally got my dream truck!....mostly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
Hi there, new owner checking in. For about the last 5 months I've been hunting a very specific Raptor. My last few vehicles were purchased from IAA/Copart, as my family owns a decently large collision repair shop. My requirements were:
-Lightning Blue
-17-19 under 25k miles
-802a + raptor tech package for the wipers

The few salvaged titled raptors equiped how I wanted went for 35-40K...and they would need $15k+ in just my cost on parts, yikes.

So it became apparent that used was going to be the answer. I wanted to be at 50k or under, but even that was asking a bit too much.

I purchased a 2018 Raptor from a sketchy dealership in miami, a few hours drive from where I live. It was the 4th one in person I had high hopes for, and I've been on the edge of buyers regret. But then I start it up and drive, and I forget all the drama :)

2018 raptor, 802a + tech, full stickers, carbon fiber interior, tailgate step, glass roof, blue spray in bedliner (yuck), factory optioned beadlockers. 16,000 miles, originally posted for 60k, they dropped it about 500/week, till I saw the add at 55,000, and got it for $54k. It had 1 owner, clean carfax, and normal dealer maintenance without any red flags.

The things that I knew about prior to purchasing:
-drivers door had a dent thru the paint at the fender edge (odd, deep, and high), and touchup paint on the rear edge of drivers door.
-tail gate applique had some chips/scratches in the plastic
-tail gate handle had some ugly touchup paint
-tail gate itself had been painted
-rear tow hook had been used and scratched
-front bumper light silver had some scratches, and it had a front license plate holder from VA, its original home.
-center console grey had some scratches thru the paint.

Things I unhappily noticed after I got it home and washed the lovebugs off:
-RT fender and front door had been painted before. It was done well, but a few dirt nibs were noticable.
-Entire RT side had been thru some brush, and badly buffed. Lots of micro scratches.
-Lots of red dirt in certain areas...the Engine bay was spotless, and most the suspension/frame were clean. But tailgate jamb, the seal that runs along the bottom of the doors, around the door handle shows signs of either living on a dirt road or playing in the mud.

Its in my nature to want a museum-piece truck, but I keep reminding myself these things are definitely to be played with, and not just parked in a garage and waxed all their lives. I'm a bit sad that I jumped the gun on a truck that needed more work than a 2018 w 16k miles should. BUT, i feel like I got a decent deal, and I'm more than willing to put some sweat-equity into making it the showstopper it should be.

Right off the bat, I fixed the damage to the front bumper (incl welding up the plate holes), repaired the left side damage, repaired/refinished the applique and tailgate handle, and had my detailer to some serious paint correction around the truck. I've also installed a bullet antena, and already loaded up an MPT tune based on all my lurking on this forum.

Thanks for reading my story, I'm looking forward to lots of fun with her! Did i make a big mistake with her, or is it an ok deal?

20200612_193955.jpg

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome. Looking good now. Hard for me to say the value of this truck, if you feel it needed some work. It’s a 2018 with only 16k. Would imagine outside of the damage you had to fix it wouldn’t be worth 50+ Check Kelly blue book and more used prices to compare it to.

Anyway welcome Miama!

cayenne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn that seems to be a high price for an '18 with issues. There are pristine '19's going for that price with 10-15K on them

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn that seems to be a high price for an '18 with issues. There are pristine '19's going for that price with 10-15K on them

I can say Miami is a pricey market and most all Raptors sell for MSRP and then some. So taking that into consideration with the price.

OP
OP
RustyNutz

RustyNutz

Reaction score
Thats What I was seeing too. I'm in FL, and our used trucks seemed to be reliably 4-5k higher than in the rust-belt, which I wanted to avoid. Like I said, I'm 50% buyers remorse...I had hoped on finding one that someone ceramacoated and only drove on sundays to church, but every other used one in my price-point was on its 2nd or 3rd owner, with a slew of dealer trips for random problems. For 18+ 802a's at the time, it was the 4th cheapest out of 60 that met my criteria within 1000 miles, so I knew what I was getting into.

The problems cost me about 20 bucks for supplies and a few IOU's to some techs, so i'm pretty happy with that. Interior was still show-room, which also helped seal the deal

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well your in market range, so it is what it is. Luckily you have a body shop and that helps. I too Raptor shopped not too long ago in south Fl primarily and a little in central. But was buying new. Tough market.

Ski1605

Reaction score
I know markets vary. Trucks tend to hold value here in the Dallas area, but I'm feeling better and better about my loaded 802 CPO '18 screw with 28k. Paid 51,700 plus t's at the end of March when the covid panic kicked off.