Feel like the dealer "GOT" me on Frt view Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GP@PPG

Reaction score
You know I try to be a thorough and smart shopper, got the truck I wanted, color, all bells and whistles UNTIL, even after having the sale man, the sales manager, and whoever the "floor manager is tell me the FRONT VIEW camera is on it. Only to get home and the next day find out NO it isn't. A nice gentleman here provided me with lots of info on what to order as they say they will make it right. They got the parts, said it would take a day. So I fly out on business and come back 5 days later and it has KICKED their asses on the software apparently. The nice man here provided me with the Techs name and dealership info that HAS sucessfully installed these in 2012's even! I am SO pissed that I can't see straight. My flight got in right at 5:45PM so most were closing, so I couldn't get a hold of anyone to see IF they even called the tech with the *know how*. I tried ringing him but he was gone for the day.
My question is that if my wife heard them say it had the camera, and many of their people, do I have ANY recourse? AS in give me the daged truck WITH what you sold me has in it? Sorry for the rant, I feel really stupid for not inspecting EVERYTHING. LOVE the truck, can't believe how casual people can be about such a large purchase.:disgust:

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As with most systems in vehicles it is the software that integrates the product with the remainder of the systems. Contrary to popular belief it is not as easy as installing a “flash upgrade to the vehicles OS”. Do not know what if any the ultimate solution will be but good luck. Trouble shooting code is problematic even with the right equipment and trained software engineers much less a line mechanic.

KBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you should have looked at the truck before you signed the paperwork. One quick glance at the front would have confirmed it. That being said, now it is up to the dealer to fix the problem. If you were charged for a camera they need to supply you with a camera. If not, the only thing it should cost you is the cost of the option plus tax, if they told you it had a camera.

Wrong Way

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go back to the dealer and say, you(salesperson),floor manager and the others had told me its on their. Talk to who is in charge and tell him what they said. If its not on the sticker, they should sell it to you at cost and install for free.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the written documentation you have does not indicate that it has the camera you are SOL. Sorry but that is the way it will play out.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Dealer told you it would have the Front Camera than it should be there or if not other arrangements should be made by the dealer to your satisfaction...Unfortunately, with out the proper backup showing you were to receive the camera on your truck you might be SOL.

I would hope the dealer's word should be good enough...naive I guess

Good luck... maybe Randy has some thoughts...

Fred

linnwgetin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Chevy silverado that would not lock the differential with normal street driving/towing like it was supposed to when 1 rear wheel would slip during wet conditions even on ice. Took it in for service and the service manager and the mechanic said that it didnt have a locking rear-end. I said ********!!! All Z-71's have a locking rear-end and walked over and got the window sticker out of the glove box which I kept with the manual unfolded it and BOOM!

Well sir if its on the sticker we will make it right. They ended up replacing the rear end under warranty.

So if you have written proof you are GOLDEN!!

LD50

Reaction score
There are only a couple of dealerships that I know of that have taken on the task of retrofitting the front camera. If your dealership has already given it a shot, I'd say that's a pretty good indication of them admitting they've made a mistake and are willing to make it right. My truck was supposed to be ordered with the camera and wasn't. The order was changed and approved at the factory but it still didn't happen. The dealership made it right and got the job done but it was fairly involved. If I were you, the first thing I would do is make sure they are committed to making it right. In my case that came down to an agreement that I would pay what the option costs if it had been on the truck. I wasn't about to pay what I thought it would cost to install it as factory correct after the fact.

Besides installing the parts, the truck needs to have a vin that indicates the camera was an option. I don't know the details but one method is to flash the computer with a vin number of another truck that has it. For mine, they had an SVT engineer rewrite code in order to keep my original vin in the computer in case there were issues down the road.

PM me if you want and I can pass along my dealer information. I'm sure they could help you out or give your dealer some tips if you decide to pursue this.