Factory Running Board Touch-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorDawg

Reaction score
Purchased my 2017 CPO. Driver's side running board has some scuffs and a "chip" in the finish that I would like to touch up but have no clue what to use. Anyone have any suggestions for/ experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

dboat

Reaction score
Purchased my 2017 CPO. Driver's side running board has some scuffs and a "chip" in the finish that I would like to touch up but have no clue what to use. Anyone have any suggestions for/ experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Same here, am following this thread

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend having them stripped and recoated in a bedliner, like LineX.

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe try some permatex if it’s a small spot? Not positive how good it will look as it does dry in a flat primer black. But the stuff is pretty great as a durable rust inhibitor. I used it a couple times to prolong the life of the underside of my cab on an old T-100 I used to drive. Had good luck with it at that time.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an aerosol based bed liner called Raptor Liner (coincidence in name). Used a ton in the muscle car restoration world as an undercoating. My 68 has it all over the underside plus inside the cabin. You can order it online (amazon) or get it at O'Reilly typically. Looks very similar to Line-x. The Krylon is the second best option...the rest are hit or miss. You could likely clean up the area well with some denatured alcohol and then spray the Raptor liner over the area and blend it a bit. Light coats until it's the same finish. I'm planning on doing my fender flares and the grey plastic pieces behind the wheel soon with the Raptor liner.

https://www.raptorcoatings.com/us/e...osols/raptor-2k-bedliner-aerosol#.XzVvAehKiUk

OP
OP
R

RaptorDawg

Reaction score

This was my first thought, although I have this as an aerosol. I sprayed a scrap piece of metal and compared to the running boards - texture is finer with the spray and it is really black compared to the running boards - not sure if that is due to the running boards fading out over time or if they are a different shade of "black".

RocketPhil

Reaction score
I had the chipping problem as well. It got out of control. I’m in the process of stripping them down and putting rustoleum bed liner spray. Any tips on stripping away the original coating?