Extreme Heat prep.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rakimb17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got my US spec truck getting ready to ship to Dubai. As you can imagine it gets dumb hot in the summer. I'm just curious what types of heat problems and solutions you So Cal, Arizona and Texas guys have come across?

So far I only plan to run a slightly heavier motor oil, full synthetic. A 5w-30? Mobil 1 has always been good to me.

I am thinking about a bigger tranny cooler or pan as well, just for the added capacity. Maybe even chang the fluid over to Amsoil or Royal Purple.

From what i've read a cooler thermostat isn't an option?
Perhaps a different coolant? Especially since freezing isn't even an option here.

Any tips?

Bink1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to bump this....Gonna be in the same boat here pretty soon. I saw the new radiators, but is there more that would be necessary for those 121 degree days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Rakimb17

Rakimb17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to Mike at 5 star today.
He said that he can make the cooling more "aggressive" in his tune. But he said its overkill. He's been shipping tuners over here for awhile and hasn't had any complaints.
I did mention that my truck is US spec too.

Bink1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Have you ordered a tuner yet?

OP
OP
Rakimb17

Rakimb17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. My truck isn't even here yet. Should actually be pulling into port tomorrow night though! After I see how much the import tax hurts I'll start playing a bit. I did have my bedrug and bakflip installed before it shipped out here though.

Bink1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on. Jebel Ali? After paying for the transport then 5% on top of that can kill when trying to save a buck by buying from the states. They have also scratched a few while unloading, because of the extra width...keep an eye out. I am stoked for you btw!

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few things to help you guys.

1. Antifreeze is NOT a coolant. Run straight water if it never gets below freezing. We do this in our race cars. Water with some Water Wetter is the best coolant you can use in extreme heat.
2. Tranmission cooler. I test and ran with Outlaw Raptor's transmission cooler through Death Valley this past summer. I tried to overheat the transmission by spinning the tires through sand and going uphill for a few miles. I couldn't. While the temp did climb, nothing compared to stock. As for the abuse it will take, I rolled my truck and the transmission cooler frame was bent but the unit itself was still functioning as it should. I will also add that did NOT increase my engine temps anything noticeable.

Bink1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few things to help you guys.

1. Antifreeze is NOT a coolant. Run straight water if it never gets below freezing. We do this in our race cars. Water with some Water Wetter is the best coolant you can use in extreme heat.
2. Tranmission cooler. I test and ran with Outlaw Raptor's transmission cooler through Death Valley this past summer. I tried to overheat the transmission by spinning the tires through sand and going uphill for a few miles. I couldn't. While the temp did climb, nothing compared to stock. As for the abuse it will take, I rolled my truck and the transmission cooler frame was bent but the unit itself was still functioning as it should. I will also add that did NOT increase my engine temps anything noticeable.

Thanks! Great advice that will be taken.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did forget to mention that you lose the anticorrisive stuff in antifreeze when you run straight water. There are pro/cons to everything.

OP
OP
Rakimb17

Rakimb17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on. Jebel Ali? After paying for the transport then 5% on top of that can kill when trying to save a buck by buying from the states. They have also scratched a few while unloading, because of the extra width...keep an eye out. I am stoked for you btw!

Yep, Jebel Ali. My shipping was paid by opting to not get Nav. Plus no US sales tax due to the export. Now i'll let you know how this works out later, but my clearance agent says that you can just throw a random decent sounding number to the customs agents for taxes. They rarely actually look at the manifest, so anything over 25k usd is not really questioned.... Plus I ordered through military sales, so I saved quite a bit compared to local purchase. Depending on how taxes go tomorrow, I could be looking at a total less about 15k less than the dealer here.